Is this a gourd plant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
And is it tortoise approved? Our Nigerian Dwarf goats love eating 'em!

62eba463-9649-446c-848d-4a1e2c180eec

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Sunflower still growing?
or is this that plant that gets big white trumpet like flowers that kids get drugs out of? Gypsum weed? or something.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Looks like a sunflower.Our jimsen weed looks different.Don't know if even a goat could endure jimsen without the accompanying dementia and hallucinations.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
OK, if this plant is, indeed, a sunflower plant, are the leaves safe to feed my torts?

Our goats seem to like 'em, and show no ill effect from eating them.

S

stells

It looks like a type of Burdock to me...

Maybe greater Burdock...

S

stells

There isn't much info on Burdock... it does contain a fair amount of Oxalic acid though... and is also used as a natural diuretic... so if you were to try it i wouldn't feed it often...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It really does look like jimsen weed to me (toxic). Sunflower isn't that color. Its greener. Burdock has longer leaves with curly edges. If it turns out to be wild sunflower, they can eat it. It grows in the desert and the tortoises eat it. Burdock is toxic to mammals, so I wouldn't allow it to go to seed on my property, however I'd be willing to bet tortoises can eat it. It also grows in the desert.

Here's a nice link to the wild sun flower: http://houstonwildedibles.blogspot.com/2009/06/sunflower-wild.html

and in this link, if you scroll down you'll come to a picture of the weed with the same color leaves and shown in the original post:

http://www.holoweb.com/cannon/jimsonwe.htm

moswen

5 Year Member
Since no one really seems to know what it is, I believe the general consensus of the tfo members would be don't feed, but it is my opinion that since tortoises don't stay with their mother after birth and aren't taught anything by her, then they must have the capabilities or the instincts to know if something is toxic or not. Maybe it smells different...? But if you really want to feed it and your goats are eating it, I am going to venture out on a limb and say if your goats aren't dropping like flies or running from imaginary mythical beasts, it's probably non-toxic! I think if you put your tort next to the plant and it shows no interest in it, leave it off the menu. If they gobble it up, put it on the menu! The important thing is though, when you introduce it the first time let it be in plant form and on the plant, not mixed in with other tasty treats on your tort's plate.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
emysemys said:
It really does look like jimsen weed to me (toxic). Sunflower isn't that color. Its greener. Burdock has longer leaves with curly edges. If it turns out to be wild sunflower, they can eat it. It grows in the desert and the tortoises eat it. Burdock is toxic to mammals, so I wouldn't allow it to go to seed on my property, however I'd be willing to bet tortoises can eat it. It also grows in the desert.

Here's a nice link to the wild sun flower: http://houstonwildedibles.blogspot.com/2009/06/sunflower-wild.html

WHAT A GREAT SITE! THANKS :cool:

and in this link, if you scroll down you'll come to a picture of the weed with the same color leaves and shown in the original post:

http://www.holoweb.com/cannon/jimsonwe.htm
moswen said:
Since no one really seems to know what it is, I believe the general consensus of the tfo members would be don't feed, but it is my opinion that since tortoises don't stay with their mother after birth and aren't taught anything by her, then they must have the capabilities or the instincts to know if something is toxic or not. Maybe it smells different...? But if you really want to feed it and your goats are eating it, I am going to venture out on a limb and say if your goats aren't dropping like flies or running from imaginary mythical beasts, it's probably non-toxic! I think if you put your tort next to the plant and it shows no interest in it, leave it off the menu. If they gobble it up, put it on the menu! The important thing is though, when you introduce it the first time let it be in plant form and on the plant, not mixed in with other tasty treats on your tort's plate.

Good idea!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
The plants are now beginning to bloom and, yes, they are, indeed wild sunflowers...went to that site emysemys turned us onto and see that it only talks about the seeds and tubers, so I'm leaving a few leaves available on their feeding spot and we'll see if either of my two take to it.

Thanks, all! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.