Is there anything I can do to help these sullys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizbeth490

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pembroke Pines
About a week ago I went into the new pet store down the street, The AllPets Emporium. I saw the sully hatchlings and they looked to be a little cold and dry. I couldn't find anyone to talk to about maybe changing that. I went back today and this is what I found, I'd like to know if there is any type of regulation on pets stores that we can report the neglect to.

2011-12-05_20-00-14_81.jpg

apetort1.jpg

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/voK9APsT78E[/video]
I honestly thought he died and I was worried. I went to find an employee and told a group of them someone needed to come turn the sully over. Their response? "Oh it rolls over every 5 minutes so we are teaching it to breathe on its back or stop rolling over" all annoyed that I bothered them.
I went to get a manager and proceeded to tell him his food bowls were taller than the torts themselves and he needed to fix it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/beufort69#p/a/u/1/voK9APsT78E

Maybe this video link will work??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those bowls are ridiculous and so are those fruity pebbles. At least they are not on rabbit pellets.

It saddens me that the people who are supposed to be educating the public are some of the most ignorant people around. Let them know that you are reporting their ignorance, flippant remarks, and unsuitable cage furnishings to a reptile forum with more than 10,000 members. Then let them know that you'd also be happy to report the positive changes that have been made, it posititive changes were to happen.

What city and state is this in? Maybe if a few dozen of us called them, it would wake them up to what public pressure can do.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
bless his little heart....you get me a name of the pet store and a phone number and I am on the "wish you never heard of me" war path....

lizbeth490

5 Year Member
Pembroke Pines
It was the AllPets Empourium in Davie, Florida. I am going to go back tomorrow and check and see if the proper changes have been made. If not I believe e-mails and phone calls will be in order. When I spoke to the manager he did seem some what concerned but I'm not sure if it was just a show or not.

5810 S. University Dr.
Davie, FL 33328
Phone: 954-641-FISH (3474)

http://allpetsemporium.com/

I will keep you guys posted on what happens with changes, for a minute I thought I was crazy for being so enraged but I've come to realize I fell hard and fast for these soon to be big guys.

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
That pic is terrible, i would freak if I saw my baby Sully like that, and of course run to his rescue, terrible, just put the damn food right on the substrate if nothing else, so much better than making it nearly impossible to get to, poor poor

lizbeth490

5 Year Member
Pembroke Pines
If I had the space or the money I would have bought the poor little guy :[ He was also the smallest one of the bunch so he's obviously hungry. I will DEFINATELY make the war call if needed, thanks guys.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Sad.. I hate seeing them helpless on the backs. I always just want to put it back on its feet by myself .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just say the word and I am all in. I am also one of those people you don't want to hear from, especially when it comes to animals. I would also suggest a phone call to any or all animal protection services and/or rescues in the area if things don't change. Sometimes even a dog or cat rescue can help or direct you to the proper place. Also, maybe print out a proper care sheet to give them if the do make changes and even suggest they could hand them out to anyone who purchase one of the torts.
I will be waiting for the word, and the phone lines will heat up.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I will be montoring this string eagerly awaiting the War Path!... I kind feel like making a phonecall now .but will wait....

torti

5 Year Member
That is ridiculous. But most of these pet stores are just in it for the money. Count me in on the war call!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Their response was a little weird, but you didn't mention what happened after you spoke with the manager? Was the tortoise still on its back when you left? If the tortoise was left there on it's back, then I can understand the "war call"...

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Poor thing! There is a pet store in SD that has signs up on all the tortoise enclosures that says something like. PLEASE DON'T ASK, TORTOISES FLIP OVER ON THEIR OWN. It makes me so upset. The employees look in the enclosure and won't even flip them back. My stomach turns every time I'm there. This is a decent place too!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Momof4 said:
Poor thing! There is a pet store in SD that has signs up on all the tortoise enclosures that says something like. PLEASE DON'T ASK, TORTOISES FLIP OVER ON THEIR OWN. It makes me so upset. The employees look in the enclosure and won't even flip them back. My stomach turns every time I'm there. This is a decent place too!

Should we add them to the war list?:D I feel 99.9% of pet stores should never be able to sell pets, only the supplies for them. We need to educate everyone we can. We (humans) are the animals (all), only voice.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
I'm in with the War Path idea ! Thats awful that they care so little about that poor baby tortoise , it's more than obvious the little fella can not get into that ridiculous food bowl (or any of those bowls for that matter) and to let him just let him stay flipped over like that is cruel. I hope we get to go on a war path with emails and calls

lizbeth490

5 Year Member
Pembroke Pines
Neal said:
Their response was a little weird, but you didn't mention what happened after you spoke with the manager? Was the tortoise still on its back when you left? If the tortoise was left there on it's back, then I can understand the "war call"...

No, like a I said the baby got flipped back over and I told him he needed to change the bowls or atleast fill the substrate in around them so they dont have to climb into something thats taller than them.

lizbeth490

5 Year Member
Pembroke Pines
Ok I went back, they have now built the substrate up around their ridiculous bowls so the torts can atleast get to the food and water. I will continue to stop in and check on these guys to make sure they are o.k.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
ascott said:
Good to hear!!:D

Chris you are funny....you went on the war path without your posse....lol...lol :D:D
Join in, join in!!!
People p*ss me off soooo bad in my "older age"! LOL! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.