Is there a need to take tortoise out?

Dosu

Location (City and/or State)
Kuwait
Hey everyone,

My tortoise 'Lexa' has pretty much been indoors 100% of the time since I got her due to really bad weather conditions here in Kuwait (it can reach up to 122+ degrees Fahrenheit here :(). However, only in the next month or so the weather will be good enough for her to be outdoors then its gonna be too cold afterwards.

Anyways during this month or so, I was wondering if there is any need for me to take her out to like the park for a few hours for some sunshine while the weather is good. Obviously I'm going to have to improvise some kind of small enclosure eg: a kiddie pool or something b/c i would never let her free roam due to dangers. I mean, is there any benefit since she can only be out for a month?

Only benefit I can think of is the sunshine, otherwise, everything else would be the exact same as her indoor enclosure except slightly bigger space to move and no temperature gradient.

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Majd:

Other than for the sun, I don't see a benefit. Some might say the tortoise benefits by the extra exercise, however, I don't agree that extra exercise outweighs the fact that if you allow a tortoise to know there is more to the world than what is inside his four walls, he's not happy anymore when kept inside his four walls and scratches, digs and climbs to get out.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I think it would just be fun for you and the tortoise. I always figure it's good to let them explore and chew on some grass for the first time. It helps them sleep better, too.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I'm with Yvonne on this one.

A tort that knows there's a world beyond frequently stops being content with the world as he knows it.

Also the risk of losing a tort that doesn't have a proper outdoor enclosure is high. Time and again we have people on TFO who have taken their tort out in the garden or a park, been distracted for a second, and the tortoise is lost.

If your tort has everything it needs in its indoor home then don't feel guilty and keep him in.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Speedy went outside daily , weather permitting . Of course I would never have considered taking him out without a proper enclosure !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are you using for indoor UV?

I prefer to have an indoor and an outdoor enclosure. I only use the outdoor enclosures during fair weather. If its too hot or too cold, I leave them inside. Seems like even on your hot summer days, the tortoise could get some morning or late afternoon sunshine time outside, no?

I think you are very wise to use your kiddie pool enclosure idea.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi Majd:

Other than for the sun, I don't see a benefit. Some might say the tortoise benefits by the extra exercise, however, I don't agree that extra exercise outweighs the fact that if you allow a tortoise to know there is more to the world than what is inside his four walls, he's not happy anymore when kept inside his four walls and scratches, digs and climbs to get out.
OK.....so he is put back in his smaller enclosure indoors and then suddenly - "eureka!!!! I know now there is a better place....LET ME OUTTA HERE ALREADY!!!!!" and he scratches, digs and climbs like crazy and you better take him back out and....no. I don't think so!!! LOL!!! This may apply to humans and dogs and the more intelligent animals but tortoises? Correct me if I am wrong, please! Give me proof?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OK.....so he is put back in his smaller enclosure indoors and then suddenly - "eureka!!!! I know now there is a better place....LET ME OUTTA HERE ALREADY!!!!!" and he scratches, digs and climbs like crazy and you better take him back out and....no. I don't think so!!! LOL!!! This may apply to humans and dogs and the more intelligent animals but tortoises? Correct me if I am wrong, please! Give me proof?

I relayed what my own experience along with numerous posts here on the forum has taught me. I guess you'll just have to learn it for yourself.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I will admit... my tortoise did a tad more clunking when I neglected to take her outside. However, she clunked from the moment I got her from the pet store as well. ;) I actually don't have an outdoor pen, I follow my tortoise around. It's easier and less expensive for me. Then it's no big deal just to pop her outside for a while and give her a "walk" so to speak.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Its true. I don't know how you'd prove it, but I've seen it many times too.

I don't think there is any analytical, logical thought that goes into it, but when they get to experience a large outdoor space, the indoor space that they formerly accepted, but has always been too small, can become almost intolerable for them.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Its true. I don't know how you'd prove it, but I've seen it many times too.

I don't think there is any analytical, logical thought that goes into it, but when they get to experience a large outdoor space, the indoor space that they formerly accepted, but has always been too small, can become almost intolerable for them.
All right then! I stand corrected, Yvonne and Tom - and glad for it.
Maybe it is this way with them, and other animals/reptiles, because of something called "cell memory"? Not a "thinking" type of memory but another kind, more physical? Wow.

Dosu

Kuwait
Thank you all for the great responses! I got pretty mixed views here in this thread so I'll take some time to think about what to do.

What are you using for indoor UV?
I use a MVB bulb by zoomed. I think it's called reptisun. It's pretty good, I replace it every 6 months.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you all for the great responses! I got pretty mixed views here in this thread so I'll take some time to think about what to do.

I use a MVB bulb by zoomed. I think it's called reptisun. It's pretty good, I replace it every 6 months.

ZooMed makes the "Power Sun".

These used to last a long time and make UV for a year. Something had changed and now they apparently only make UV for 3 months. Just some food for thought.

Anyone who relies on indoor UV for the health and well being of their tortoise needs to have a UV meter. It is the only way to know what is going on under those bulbs.

https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

Dosu

Kuwait
ZooMed makes the "Power Sun".

These used to last a long time and make UV for a year. Something had changed and now they apparently only make UV for 3 months. Just some food for thought.

Anyone who relies on indoor UV for the health and well being of their tortoise needs to have a UV meter. It is the only way to know what is going on under those bulbs.

https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

Ahh yes, I mean to say PowerSun not ReptiSun :oops:

I'll definitely be looking into buying a UV meter. I understand that maybe after a while the bulb could stop outputting useful amounts of UV. I'll probably have to look for a UV meter cheaper than the Solarmeter ones though. Thanks for the great advice!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'll probably have to look for a UV meter cheaper than the Solarmeter ones though.

Good luck. Let us know if you find one. Its the only one I know of that works properly and reads the correct wavelength.

Janelle Green

Colorado
image.jpeg image.jpeg You can make a small play pen for limited outdoor time . My tortoise was never outside before I got him and I've had him over a week now and I've already noticed his mood change since I take him outside everyday he's very happy and active. They love being outside and it's a new scenery adventures for them ! I made a small front yard play pen which was really easy to make they sell the play pens made already for $10 at Walmart / petsmart it's for small animals and I dug it into ground and bought tent stakes and staked it in(he can't escape at all) I am also currently building a backyard enclosure he can be in full time but we have bad winters so he has indoor as well . Here's a picture of my Russians front yard play pen. Your girl will love any amount of outdoor time! They also can handle cold temps so maybe on warm winter days take her out for a bit

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Good luck. Let us know if you find one. Its the only one I know of that works properly and reads the correct wavelength.

I guess a funny story , The first one I ever saw was owned by the "tinted window police" when they pulled me over , and after testing advised me that my side windows were tinted to dark and I would need to remove the film ! My pickup is a 2004 , and this happened last fall , so good thing them boys were on their toes making me see the err of my wicked way's !