Is Nutabol Good For Tortoises?

MaNaAk

Location (City and/or State)
Southend
Dear @Tom and @Yvonne,

A Facebook friend of mine is recommending that I feed Jacky (Greek Spur-thighed Tortoise) Nutabol with her food. Is it okay to give this to her? She is 88 and I have never put this on her food just cuttle fish every other day.

Thankyou very much

Natrah

MaNaAk

Southend
Just looked at the message again and my friend says that it is called ABIDEC and it is available at chemists. Failing that I can try Nubadol!

Natrah

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't. They don't need it and the benefits are questionable at best. Those types of products are often made for mammals and it is unlikely that it would be of any benefit for a herbivorous reptile. I don't think it would do any harm, but I don't know if that is the case either. Why mess with it when everything is going great as is?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Maybe it's called Nutrobal. It's the vitamin supplement, widely used in UK as I can see. High content of vitamins A and D3 is what I don't like about it. Tortoises who graze outside get plenty of them naturally (from grasses and sun) and it's easy to overdose them with Nutrobal.

Other similar product from the same manufacturer is called Arkvits and has the nearly the same composition non-optimal for tortoises.

Miner-All and ZooMed Reptivite without D3 have more balanced content.

MaNaAk

Southend
I wouldn't. They don't need it and the benefits are questionable at best. Those types of products are often made for mammals and it is unlikely that it would be of any benefit for a herbivorous reptile. I don't think it would do any harm, but I don't know if that is the case either. Why mess with it when everything is going great as is?
Thankyou so much Tom. This friend seems to be telling me what to do but Jacky but Jacky is 88 and if anything happened to her I don't know what I would do.

Natrah

MaNaAk

Southend
Maybe it's called Nutrobal. It's the vitamin supplement, widely used in UK as I can see. High content of vitamins A and D3 is what I don't like about it. Tortoises who graze outside get plenty of them naturally (from grasses and sun) and it's easy to overdose them with Nutrobal.

Miner-All and ZooMed Reptivite without D3 have more balanced content.
Thankyou @Alex and the Redfoot. I shall keep feeding what she's been eating for 88 years.

Natrah

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
@MaNaAk ...
You should ask your friend Why? Why should I feed this? What are the benefits? Do you know what you are talking about? If you are friends this should be ok to ask without getting a bunch of attitude in return. I then would explain to your friend the serious consequences of OD "Over Doing It" with vitamins, where are the benefits? And explain why they are not needed as Jacky gets plenty in the food she eats.
I say this because it sounds like your friend does not understand just how much Jacky means to you. As well as the need for accurate information to ensure as long a life as possible. People that give out advice without understanding the consequences of their misunderstanding of the information cause plenty of trouble. It is as if they just spit it out to feel important, well Jacky is more important period. Way to go @Alex and the Redfoot and @Tom for being there for Jacky.

MaNaAk

Southend
Dear @EppsDynasty,

This was a friend on one of my Pet Loss Groups she has tortoises as well and she said that they are very short on vitamins at this time of year. Anyway I decided to message her back saying that I won't giving to Jacky and I said that I'm concerned about giving her too many vitamins. I was actually concerned about her tortoises and that anyone reading her messages may think it was okay. She once said that she's had tortoises since she was a teenager she is older than me but I am nearly and Jacky and Daisy (1942 - 2022) were in the family before me!

Natrah

MaNaAk

Southend
My friend has just replied saying it's entirely up to me saying I can't overdose if I follow the instructions but I can overdose. Below is a picture of Jacky taken yesterday the vets said thar she was in good condition:IMG20240505103331_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...and she said that they are very short on vitamins at this time of year.
That's an odd assertion to me. Why are they low on vitamins at this time of year compared to other times? Its spring time and the weeds are going full bore. I would think that with a good weedy diet, they would be doing great in the vitamin department this tie of year. Seems to me they would be shorter on vitamins in fall or winter, wouldn't they?

Just making conversation here. I'm curious why the friend would think that.

MaNaAk

Southend
That's an odd assertion to me. Why are they low on vitamins at this time of year compared to other times? Its spring time and the weeds are going full bore. I would think that with a good weedy diet, they would be doing great in the vitamin department this tie of year. Seems to me they would be shorter on vitamins in fall or winter, wouldn't they?

Just making conversation here. I'm curious why the friend would think that.
I've only been friends with her for three months but you're right @Tom because they would be building up their vitamins outside.

Natrah

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I've only been friends with her for three months but you're right @Tom because they would be building up their vitamins outside.

Natrah
Perhaps, when they come out of brumation early and have to be kept under an artificial UVB light (if any) and on grocery store diet - vitamins may be beneficial.

Reactions: Tom