Is my THB getting enough calcium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrea M

5 Year Member
I now have Hokies table set up with free planted weeds and edible plants so he can eat what he wants, when he wants, I am much happier with this arrangement as I feel it is more natural for him, he also munches on his cuttlefish regularly. Do you think he will get enough calcium from this diet and if not what else should I be doing?

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366578804.358749.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366578817.997553.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366578782.817881.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366578782.817881.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited by a moderator:

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
Agreed. For an indoor tort, I would still sprinkle a calcium + vitamin D3 powder on his food about 3x per week. Even with cuttlebone and a good UVB lamp, it's still good to make sure he's getting enough.

Andrea M

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies, can you put nutrobal on live plants?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Andrea M said:
Thanks for the replies, can you put nutrobal on live plants?

I usually sprinkle supplement on produce, but let freshly picked weeds go un-sprinkled. But that's only because live, wild plants usually contain more nutrients than refrigerated groceries. However, there's nothing wrong with adding supplement to weeds if you think your tortoise needs it.

Andrea M

5 Year Member
Ok, would a bowl of limestone flour achieve the same goal? (If he ate it that is, lol)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Andrea M said:
Ok, would a bowl of limestone flour achieve the same goal? (If he ate it that is, lol)

Sprinkling limestone flour over food would be a valuable source of calcium carbonate (CaCO3), but it would still not provide vitamin D3. Animals (including people) can acquire vitamin D3 in two ways: one is to eat it, and the other is to synthesize it themselves. This happens when warm skin receives UVB radiation, either naturally from the sun, or from a UVB-emitting light bulb.

Nothing is as good for making vitamin D3 as the sun. That's why tortoises (and people) should get some time outside. Indoor tortoises can make their own vitamin D3 when basking under a UVB lamp, but it's probably still not as much as they would make if they were basking outside. That's why it's important to feed indoor torts vitamin D3 in their diet a few times per week.

Without vitamin D3, you could eat all the calcium you like, but your body would be unable to incorporate it into your skeleton. People who don't eat or make enough vitamin D3 develop rickets, a kind of softening of the bones. Reptiles that don't eat or make enough vitamin D3 develop metabolic bone disease (MBD), which is very similar: basically a weakening of the skeleton, including the limbs, jaw, and in tortoises, the shell as well.

So, in addition to getting enough calcium, make sure your guy gets enough vitamin D3, too.

Andrea M

5 Year Member
Ok, thanks, he has a 125w sun lamp in his table and spends a fair bit of time basking. I live in England and the weather isn't good enough to put him outside as often as I'd like so I'll continue with the nutrobal. Thankyou very much for your time, it's really appreciated.

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
Wow! I love your set up! I don't have enough room in my current set up to do this, but one day I do plan to build a tortoise table, or add on to my tub and create a nice browsing area so my girl has access to food whenever she wants. I just love your set up! Great job on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.