Is my girl trying to hibernate?

swatsx

5 Year Member
This is my first winter with my girl she's at least 5 years old. So long story short her 75 watt bulb broke and I had a 40 that I had to use for a week or so she was still eating just less I got a new 100 watt bulb temp under light is 110 temp on cool end is 85 I plan on making a couple holes in the cool end (closed tank due to cats) to cool it down more. But she's been eating a lot less the last couple days and just sitting in her hide box humidity is 50-60% cocoa core substrate. Could she just be slowing down with the season and the change in bulbs? I did move her basking stone to reduce the basking temp a little I read the temps won't be as high with the stone gone and I took her out of her hide this morning she went over to bask after 10 min or so then I had to leave the house

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm afraid the lower watt bulb told her that the sun was making its way off center and the days will start getting shorter, etc. In other words, her body tells her its time to start winding down for hibernation.

At her age, I wouldn't be so much worried about keeping humidity in the enclosure. A plain old hiding place without humidity is fine. Just have the substrate a bit moist underneath, but dry on top.

Now comes the hard part. Trying to convince her that the days are getting longer and the sun is making its way back to center. Unless, that is, that you want her to hibernate????

swatsx

5 Year Member
That's what I was thinking was i set her up to hibernate I do want her to hibernate but not this year I didn't do enough research for it and don't want to mess it up, she's been out all day had some weeds but nothing like she used to eat maybe a couple bites then back under the heat lamp the humidity is so "high" because I switched to a closed tank my next tank I plan on making will have a higher top and more open via chicken wire