IS MY FRANKLIN OK?????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mansfield, Ma
Ok so I put Franklin & Lily in a soak yesterday & today. Yesterday when Franklin was taken his soak bowl I looked in it to check on him and I seen he had went to the bathroom (PooP)... So when I seen it he had some whitish/off whitish stuff in his poo.. Now I did take photos JUST in case someone needed to see what I was talking about. I just want to make sure he is ok. I haven't had this happen before. Yesterday it was just a little but today was just a little more but not to much. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?? Like I said I did take photos before I flushed it just in case someone needs to see what I was talking about. Any clue to what this is that I'm talking about. Is my Franklin ok????

Anyone???

FlatStanley

5 Year Member
East Texas
1. When my tortoise goes to the toilet, he sometimes passes a white substance. Is this normal?
Yes perfectly normal. This is part of the waste produce from the tortoise and is called urates. You will not always see it, and it is a good indicator of how well hydrated the tortoise is. In a well-hydrated tortoise, the urates will either be watery or have the consistency of thick cream; if it is at all gritty or lumpy this is a sign that your tortoise is becoming dehydrated. If this happens you will need to give regular baths and give some food with a high water content. Hope this helps.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
FlatStanley said:
1. When my tortoise goes to the toilet, he sometimes passes a white substance. Is this normal?
Yes perfectly normal. This is part of the waste produce from the tortoise and is called urates. You will not always see it, and it is a good indicator of how well hydrated the tortoise is. In a well-hydrated tortoise, the urates will either be watery or have the consistency of thick cream; if it is at all gritty or lumpy this is a sign that your tortoise is becoming dehydrated. If this happens you will need to give regular baths and give some food with a high water content. Hope this helps.

Ok so he is well hydrated then. It wasn't limpy OR gritty at all. It was more thick cream. So this is good. At least I know he is doing good. I was a little nervous about this when I seen it happen again today.
Thank you for your help hun :)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Franklin you're OK, you're OK Franklin.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
It may be urates/uric acid (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uric_acid). It's not only normal, but necessary for torts to pass it, as it's a waste byproduct. Watery or creamy urate indicates well-hydrated tort. Lumpy or gritty means close to dehydrating.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

Status
Not open for further replies.