Is my daughters Russian tortoise gone?

Kara Sea

Location (City and/or State)
Acworth GA
Yall truly are so nice! I’ll give update in few. Sydney works till 10 pm tonight and I should see some kind of movement before then? Right?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am very sorry if he does not make it. If he doesn't, and you decide to try again, please get your care information from right here, it's the best.

Kara Sea

Acworth GA
No, he doesn't look malnourished, but there are a lot of other things that can hurt a tortoise besides lack of food.

In any case, focus on seeing if he comes back. If so, it can be addressed. If not, and you decide not to get another tortoise, then it doesn't matter either way.

We're here to help when you are ready.
Im older and not sure if my recent pics were attached. If not I’ll try again.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Yes, please post an update regardless of outcome.

He might not move for hours or day but unless you see obvious signs of decomposition - he is still struggling. To keep him warm and hydrated is probably all that you can do.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Some things I would try out of despair:

1. Pedialyte soak (not because he is starved to death, but to give him some "boost").

2. CPR:
Straighten his front legs and pull them straight towards you as far as they can go.
Keeping the legs straight, push them in as far as they will go.
Continue pulling and pushing the arm which helps airflow through the animals’ system.

Tom and Yvonne are right people to call for help. Their experience are unmatched to mine. I will just keep fingers crossed.

Kara Sea

Acworth GA
Some things I would try out of despair:

1. Pedialyte soak (not because he is starved to death, but to give him some "boost").

2. CPR:
Straighten his front legs and pull them straight towards you as far as they can go.
Keeping the legs straight, push them in as far as they will go.
Continue pulling and pushing the arm which helps airflow through the animals’ system.

Tom and Yvonne are right people to call for help. Their experience are unmatched to mine. I will just keep fingers crossed.
I’m so confused. I did the cpr.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kara Sea

Acworth GA

Attachments

• IMG_6625.jpeg
    IMG_6625.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6624.jpeg
    IMG_6624.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
My cell is . I’m so confused. I did the cpr.
Hi Kara it’s probably not a good idea to put your cell phone on a public forum like this. We can ask the admin team to remove it if you would like.

I think see how the soaking goes, keep him warm

Kara Sea

Acworth GA
I’m so confused. I did the cpr.
Did all I can do.
Hi Kara it’s probably not a good idea to put your cell phone on a public forum like this. We can ask the admin team to remove it if you would like.

I think see how the soaking goes, keep him warm
I thought about that. Yes please remove. Thank you.

Kara Sea

Acworth GA
Did all I can do.

I thought about that. Yes please remove. Thank you.
Again thank you. My sydney may log on when I tell her about this forum. She working. Guessing we will know my morning if popeye made it. Got lamp on of course. Regardless I hope he isnt suffering and me trying to save him prolonging death.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
What's the status. Warmth and soaks are important. Try pinching the legs to check a reaction. If your getting nothing you can get a vet to check and verify, tortoise can look dead but their not.

Kara Sea

Acworth GA
As of now he seems more stiff and hasn’t moved. We stopped warm pedialyte baths & cpr late last night then resumed warm baths. He doesn’t smell yet but he’s seems gone. Sydney says thank you to this forum and will join soon. she’s going to miss him looking up at her almost with a smile everyday when she talked to him. If a miracle occurs will let you know. Thanks all!

Kara Sea

Acworth GA
What's the status. Warmth and soaks are important. Try pinching the legs to check a reaction. If your getting nothing you can get a vet to check and verify, tortoise can look dead but their not.
Just posted. So a vet can detect a heartbeat? My bro is an MD. but not a vet. He doesnt smell.