Is mulch other than cypress harmful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
I'm setting up an enclosure for my new redfoot. I'm going to be using some cypress mulch, which I know is okay. But, I'm basically fencing in a huge flower bed that has a few remnants of other types of mulch in it. Can I leave that there, or do I need to rake it out. I keep reading that cypress mulch is good, but can't seem to find any info on why other types of mulch might be bad... ???

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Depends on what types of mulch. List them and we can let you know if bad or not.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Most mulch is ok for tortoises. Definitely stay away from cedar mulch, and colored mulch.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Ahhhhhhh, I think it's some really old, faded, colored mulch. Definitely not cedar, though. Does the coloring process make it potentially toxic? If so, I should probably go get rid of it...

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah because its basically stain and chemicals they color it with. Just rake it all up then put a couple inches of top soil then mulch it and should be ok.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
As an additional thought, wouldn't pine mulch be really bad, considering the oils are toxic?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Ahhh yes pine mulch too. We dont have it in my area so I always forget about it. Good catch.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There is really no clinical evidence that pine is an issue for reptiles, just some anecdotal stuff.

It is unlikely that aged colored mulch would be much of a problem, but if you are a 'better safe than sorry' person, just use it for the bottom layers.

Status
Not open for further replies.