Is morloch a male or female?

Status
Not open for further replies.

morloch

5 Year Member
Hi everyone!! I know Morloch is still very young , but just wondering if someone has any ideas on which gender? Either way the name stays,!! Thank you in advance,

Attachments

• image-1459326748.png
    image-1459326748.png
    664.9 KB · Views: 48
  • image-3124567340.png
    image-3124567340.png
    517.3 KB · Views: 41

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Still too young to tell 100%, but I would lay odds 99% that you have a little boy there ;)

morloch

5 Year Member
Thnx kristina!! That's my hunch too,,, but it doesn't really matter, I love my little one either way!!

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I'm thinking mine's a girl... I wanted a boy... way too young to tell though I guess.

morloch

5 Year Member
That's funny,,, I actually wanted a girl!! I hear they're more passive,,, dint really know if that's true, but my gut feeling tells me Morloch is a boy,,, and that's alright ,,, he's already a big part of our family!

morloch

5 Year Member
Tom,,, if your there,,, what's your opinion please??

Wow your fast!! Lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most of the time I can't tell on babies, but every once in a while I see one that is pretty obvious. I correctly sexed Daisy and her brother at 3 months old in January of 2008, but I still have absolutely NO idea what sex Tuck and Trey are at 17 months old.

It just so happens that Morloch has a big tail and a wide "V" for anal scutes. His gulars are pretty big for is age too. But as Kristina noted, its too early to tell for sure, and those traits could very well change and develop over time.

morloch

5 Year Member
Thanks Tom,,, it doesn't really matter, just curious, but would you say males or females have a more passive side, the breeder for Morloch said the females are more passive,,, not such bulldozers,, I'll have to prep either way as Morloch grows,

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As has often been pointed out here, ALL tortoises of all species are individuals with their own personalities. Having gotten that disclaimer out of the way, females are generally much less aggressive and pushy than males. Usually they are not as personable either. As I type this all sorts of exceptions come to mind. RV, a beautiful and large female in AZ, is VERY outgoing and personable. Very male like in this respect. My three adult females are not nearly as friendly and curious as RV. They have their moments, but RV does the typical "always under foot" male sulcata thing too. My adult females stay out of my way, as opposed to my adult males, Scooter and Bert, who I trip over regularly. My Daisy is the most aggressive sulcata I have ever seen. I'm told her Daddy is a killer. Usually juveniles are not aggressive. Usually females are not aggressive. Not only is Daisy a four year old, four pound, juvenile female, but she is so darn aggressive that she attempts to bully the 40-80 pound adults that I now house her with. This is NOT normal, but it illustrates the exceptions. Maggie's Bob, my Scooter, and Dean's Aladar all come to mind as normal examples of typical, super-fearless, personable, curious, outgoing adult males. There are lots of other examples, but these are just what popped into my head.

For me, personality and behavior is one element of many in guessing sulcata sexes, so yes, there are some generalities, despite the occasional exceptions.

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Georgetown/Hutto/Austin,Tx
i was curious about mine too lol Peach and Bowsers anal scutes look totally different.Bowser looks more like your does.Here is hoping i picked the right name and he is a boy and Peach is a girl :p

morloch

5 Year Member
Thanks Tom!!! Your my tortoise guru!! Lol, what would I do without this forum, I have learned so much!! I also planted some clover seeds in Morlochs home, I had to cover it to grow properly, he keeps walking over trying to knock it over!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Guru? Have you been talking to Dean?...

I'm no guru. I just love sulcatas and torts in general. I've been working in pet stores since 1986, and "helping" people was, and still is, part of my job. As a dog and animal trainer I have to help people understand all things animal, all day long.

There are lots of people who know far more than me. I pick their brains every chance I get...

morloch

5 Year Member
Ok Tom,,,,but a big thank you anyway!!! And a thank you to everyone else on this forum ,, whom have been so welcoming and informative!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Aldabraman is basically saying that he GUARANTEES its either male or female... :D

morloch

5 Year Member
Funny,,, was going to say bisexual, without being offensive!! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.