Is Jasper OK? HELP!

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
For the past few days now, Jasper has been very lazy and barely eats, if at all. Before today, he would only be lazy and not eat when inside. He would eat fine and happily explore when outside. But today, he wouldn't do anything when I took him outside. He just looks around and/or sleeps. He does drink fine though. Is Jasper sick?

Random information:
-Enclosure is 6 feet by 4 feet.
Basking area is 100 F, normal is 70-75 F; has UVB.
-I feed him spring mix.
Substrate is soil and coconut fiber.
-It takes him a while to open his eyes when I take him for walks, in and out, and he scratches at his eyes with his arms.
-When outside, he might take a few steps, then sit and look around.
-when I poke his legs, he looks at me but doesn't put them in his shell.

Questions:
-Why does he scratch at his eyes?
-Why does it take him a while to open his eyes?
-why isn't he eating?
-IS HE SICK?

Phoenix, AZ
UPDATE: I think it may be his eyes that bother him. His eyelids might be stuck, and he might be getting stuff in his eyes a lot. I started misting the substrate, which I'll do daily.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Some coil bulbs are known to be dangerous to tortoises and can cause eye problems.If they can't see, they don't eat. If he's scratching his eyes, then his eyes are probably irritated.

I would try switching out the coil bulb and see if he improves.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One thing for everyone to note - Vitamin A is very important in a tortoise's diet, and once a turtle or tortoise stops eating, the first sign you have that something is wrong is the eyes start to swell and stick shut. I'm not discounting the coil-shaped bulb, but for everyone who ever sees a turtle or tortoise with swollen, stuck shut eyes, you should also bear in mind that if the animal hasn't been eating, he may be suffering from a vitamin A deficiency. DO NOT allow the vet to give your animal a vitamin injection. It is very easy to get the vitamin into the tortoise. Do a search for how to use Gerber strained carrots or squash as a soak.

Phoenix, AZ
One thing for everyone to note - Vitamin A is very important in a tortoise's diet, and once a turtle or tortoise stops eating, the first sign you have that something is wrong is the eyes start to swell and stick shut. I'm not discounting the coil-shaped bulb, but for everyone who ever sees a turtle or tortoise with swollen, stuck shut eyes, you should also bear in mind that if the animal hasn't been eating, he may be suffering from a vitamin A deficiency. DO NOT allow the vet to give your animal a vitamin injection. It is very easy to get the vitamin into the tortoise. Do a search for how to use Gerber strained carrots or squash as a soak.
I might try that. Thanks!

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
(Not judging, by the way, I have about 4-5 feet of snow outside so I can't exactly go and pick some weeds, either)

But a varied diet is best

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
We steam a pieces of carrots to feed all our torts at least once a month.

Randi

Canada
As for expanding your torts diet, Google "Tortoise Table Plant Database". There are multiple categories on that website with lots of plants to choose from and lots of info if you click "See More". Goes through safe and toxic plants, and has a recommended frequency for feeding.

What is the humidity in your enclosure?