Is it safe to let small tortoises burrow below tree roots?

FOTL_fff

Location (City and/or State)
italy
I have many small 1-yo tortoises in an outdoor enclosure. I wanted to move the some of them in a more appropriate enclosure, however I noticed that most of them enjoy burrowing in between the roots of a tree inside their enclosure.

Since it seems to be a realatively natural and comfortable space for them, I was wondering if I could just let them stay there or if it could be dangerous for them. Could they get stuck in there or drown?

Picture of the tree roots (its an olive tree): Thank you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What species do you have?
Small hatchlings up to 2 to 3 years old should be housed in a closed chamber enclosure with high humidity so they grow smooth and healthy, with only short visits outside.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I agree with Wellington. They are vulnerable outside to predators too, and more.

FOTL_fff

italy
Hi, sorry for the delay. I never actually figured out their species. I have uploaded a picture of one of the two big ones and one of the many small hatchlings:

I would say that predators are not a big concern and I have had the two big ones in the same spot for more than 10 years. However I don't have any experience with hatchlings. I live in a Mediterranean climate zone.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Hi, sorry for the delay. I never actually figured out their species. I have uploaded a picture of one of the two big ones and one of the many small hatchlings:

I would say that predators are not a big concern and I have had the two big ones in the same spot for more than 10 years. However I don't have any experience with hatchlings. I live in a Mediterranean climate zone.

You have Western Hermann's tortoises for sure. Great looking tortoise!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Babies need to be housed primarily indoors. Outside all day is not good for them, even in their native environment. This applies to California desert tortoises here in the California desert, sulcatas in Africa, and your species where you are.

Letting them burrow and hide amongst the tree roots, plants and bushes is fine as they get older and larger, but they will do much better if you set them up in an indoor enclosure with the correct temperatures, humidity, substrate, etc...

Start here and look for the temperate species care sheet near the bottom:

FOTL_fff

italy
Thank you for your replies. I do not have an indoor space to house them, but I will build a better shleter for them near the three they are currently using. Should I use wood? Should I insulate the roof? Do you have any ideas on how to make a nice shelter fit for them and for the winter?

Local temp right now is 30°C. In winter it gets no colder than 5°C.

Also on a tangent note, what is the best way to offer the tortoises (both the big ones and the small ones) a supply of water considering I don't have a nearby water pipe?