Is it a cherryhead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Stoney creek ontario
His is my 1 year old "cherryhead" looks female but not sure yet and is it even a cherryhead?

Attachments

• image-2622234125.png
    image-2622234125.png
    1,011.3 KB · Views: 70
  • image-1677639672.png
    image-1677639672.png
    1,007.3 KB · Views: 69
  • image-826831585.png
    image-826831585.png
    197.3 KB · Views: 55

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Your lil one has characteristics of both. The bulbous nose looks like cherry , while the bottom plastron looks more like a RF. The pictures are a little fuzzy to tell for sure ( it also could be a hybrid) . Only time will tell at this point to see if it’s a boy or girl.
JD~:)

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
Yea how much bigger to tell if it's a boy or girl it's a year old from what I'm told maybe 5-6 inches untill I'm able to tell the sex thanks

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Looks like a Cherryhead to me.......However, your probably looking at an animal with chronic dehydration also, so you may want to fix that......

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
N2TORTS said:
Your lil one has characteristics of both. The bulbous nose looks like cherry , while the bottom plastron looks more like a RF. The pictures are a little fuzzy to tell for sure ( it also could be a hybrid) . Only time will tell at this point to see if it’s a boy or girl.

I agree ... but the plastron would lead me to lean more towards a redfoot.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
kimber_lee_314 said:
N2TORTS said:

This is a comparison between a Cherryhead and a Northern Redfoot.......What would make you think the animal in question would lean more towards a Northern?

Attachments

• SN853562.JPG
    SN853562.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 35

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
EricIvins said:
kimber_lee_314 said:
N2TORTS said:

This is a comparison between a Cherryhead and a Northern Redfoot.......What would make you think the animal in question would lean more towards a Northern?

Eric, I 'll post some bottom pics too. Fact is.. *MOST* of the time a pure cherry blood line will have marbled plastron to almost black, with very little tan/light coloring on the plastron. Unlike the starter of the threads pictures .
ultra13-1.jpg
CherryBaby2Bottom.jpg
AdultCherryFemaleBottom-1.jpg
ALPHAMALECHERRYBOTTOM-1.jpg
JUVCHERRY-ATAIL-1.jpg

JD~

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
On the bottom of my little guys shell he's got these little white rings could this be marbling?

Attachments

• image-2622573740.png
    image-2622573740.png
    261.7 KB · Views: 26

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
bobbymoore said:
On the bottom of my little guys shell he's got these little white rings could this be marbling?

More like light spots....and with that new pic. yes yours does look like a cherry more so than a northern. The plastron will change colors as it matures. On the carapace the marbling usally starts white...and grows as it it gets older, the plastron usally the opposite visual effect , with the pattern showing more with black development patterns.
here is a youngster 6"...you can see the white lines'

ROSS22.jpg

The mom ... around 11"
MARB-F.jpg

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
even more interesting ..... how about a Northern RF...with " yellow Marbling" .....:D
Varitop.jpg

bobbymoore said:
Alright thanks and one more question do all cherryeads marble?

Nope ....

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
One thing to remember... 'cherry-head' is mostly a marketing term for unusually colorful Red-foots from the Southeastern parts of Brazil.

The main identifying characteristics of Brazilian Red-foots seem to be a mostly dark plastron (although shell rot, etc. can mess that up), an enlarged colorful scale on the inner front elbows, a slightly bulbous and colorful nose, a fairly dark almost black skin on the neck, all the scales on the legs and head the same basic color, and comparatively few colored scales on the neck.

Websites from that region mention 'red' and 'yellow' Red-footeds, which appear to be two color morphs- the brilliant reds we generally associate with the group, and a more 'typical' Red-footed's colors.

Obviously, some of these characteristics are a very subjective and there is a lot of variation in all groups of Red-footed tortoises. It is certainly possible to have a very colorful Northeastern type, and a rather bland Brazilian type.

Having said all that, I really don't see a lot of the 'cherry-head' characteristics in yours, but I do see signs of past health problems- so I am glad it is in more caring hands.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
N2TORTS said:
EricIvins said:
kimber_lee_314 said:
N2TORTS said:

Eric, I 'll post some bottom pics too. Fact is.. *MOST* of the time a pure cherry blood line will have marbled plastron to almost black, with very little tan/light coloring on the plastron. Unlike the starter of the threads pictures .
ultra13-1.jpg
CherryBaby2Bottom.jpg
AdultCherryFemaleBottom-1.jpg
ALPHAMALECHERRYBOTTOM-1.jpg
JUVCHERRY-ATAIL-1.jpg

JD~

I don't find that to be the case at all with Hatchlings........They are all variable, BUT a Northern Redfoot will not have black pigment on the growth lines, where a Cherryhead will........

Northern Redfoots will have very little pigment on the Plastron, and if they do, it won't be black.......

See post #2 below.......

Northern Plastron pictures.......

One thing to note - The last picture is of clutch mate Northerns - They do have pigment on their Plastron, but it isn't black or crisp like a Cherryhead - It is grey that will fade as the animal ages......

On a Cherryhead, the exact opposite happens - The Plastron gets darker as they age.......The pictures of the Cherryheads I've posted are from a group straight from Brazil that came in between 1990-1996, just incase anyone doubts the origin of these animals.......

Attachments

• Cherryhead S6305452.JPG
    Cherryhead S6305452.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Hatchling Cherryhead (7).JPG
    Hatchling Cherryhead (7).JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Hatchling Cherryheads (5).JPG
    Hatchling Cherryheads (5).JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Hatchling Northern Redfoots (7).JPG
    Hatchling Northern Redfoots (7).JPG
    49 KB · Views: 24
  • Yellow Colombian Redfoot (5).JPG
    Yellow Colombian Redfoot (5).JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 24
  • SN853559.JPG
    SN853559.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 23
  • SN853571.JPG
    SN853571.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 26

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
bobbymoore said:
One more question when does marbling usually start from birth or as they get older or just when ever?

Usally will start to show in the first days from birth very slightly....hence the keen eye of which one's are pick of the litter...as the tort matures the carapace will show more signs of the marbling. This is a genetic trait......Quality adult breeders with marbling , color, size ....ect , will produce outstanding babies the likefold~

Again here you can see the "white" marbling starting to develope on this younger tort.
Tz23.jpg
and more examples of younger torts starting to show
ultra1-1.jpg
and a different one ....

HDROSSO.jpg

here is a big mature female cherry "marbled out"
new50.jpg

and of course once again some examples of plastron shots of cherrys vs. a RF...

Cherrys'
ultra26.jpg
ultra33.jpg

A big female Northern
BIGREDB4-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.