Introduction and Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

BEOWULFF

5 Year Member
Just joined the forum. I should have joined years before. I have been raising a Russian for the last three years. He is healthy despite my ignorance and doing ok. But I have been concerned that I could improve his (I think Tux is a he) life by making some changes in habitat and food. I should mention that I got the whole tank outfit as a birthday gift many years ago and until I found your forum I have been trying to figure out and sort out all the recommendations for tortoise care on the web. Relying on Petco or PetsMart is making me nervous. Your help will be greatly appreciated by my tortoise and me.

I live in Arkansas. The tank is 30" x 12". Currently, I am using Zoo Med Eco Earth Compressed Coconut Fiber Expandable Substrate and a Zoo Med Thermo UTM pad against the side wall along with a 11W Powersun UV lamp. On one side wall I have a Zoo Med Turtle Hut and on the other side a large water basin. Food consists of romaine lettuce and Zoo med grassland tortoise food and miner-all supplement. I've installed a Powersun UV lamp for the day. I keep the tortoise in the tank and except for cleaning the tank or allowing him to roam about on my desk I do not let him out.

So.... what do I need to change, update, add to my set up to make my tortoise as comfortable and healthy as possible?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Here is what I'd recommend:
1. You need a much bigger enclosure. That size is fine for a tiny hatchling, but he needs bigger now. How about 3x6', 4x4' or even bigger?
2. Ditch the coil bulb. Those can damage their eyes.
3. Ditch the heat pad.
4. If your Powersun is a mercury vapor bulb, that is all you will need. A night time cool down is good for russians.
5. Your water bowl might be inappropriate. They need it very shallow and sunk into the substrate.
6. Your diet needs more variety.
7. Your tortoise would benefit greatly from some outside time in a safe secure pen.

Ask lots of questions. We love to help.

BEOWULFF

5 Year Member
Thanks. Is there a preference for glass vs plastic?
What do you feed your Russian and do you have a schedule of rotating food type?

Tom said:
Hello and welcome.

Here is what I'd recommend:
1. You need a much bigger enclosure. That size is fine for a tiny hatchling, but he needs bigger now. How about 3x6', 4x4' or even bigger?
2. Ditch the coil bulb. Those can damage their eyes.
3. Ditch the heat pad.
4. If your Powersun is a mercury vapor bulb, that is all you will need. A night time cool down is good for russians.
5. Your water bowl might be inappropriate. They need it very shallow and sunk into the substrate.
6. Your diet needs more variety.
7. Your tortoise would benefit greatly from some outside time in a safe secure pen.

Ask lots of questions. We love to help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcme. Tom gave you great advice. Make sure your bulb is a UVB bulb, not the coil type though. Outside time is so important too. The diet really needs some things added to it. I will leave what to add to it to others that actually feeds that species.

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
Welcome! The members on here are great and can really help improve your torts life! Im still a new owner myself so I'll leave the suggestions to the pros. I will say though, if you are looking for something bigger but can build your own tort table, I used a big concrete mixing tub from home depot, got it for around $13. It's 2'x3" I bet you could find something bigger for your adult. I just have a hatchling in mine.

BEOWULFF

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone. I am going to purchase a new tank. Re: food. Do any of you have a schedule that you use to vary the food you give to the russians?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It is always best to feed a variety of foods, you don't want him to become picky and not want to eat anything else. Here is what I do with my russians, I go out and pick whatever is growing out there today, I grow all of my own food. Grape leaves, hibiscus flowers, strawberry leaves, dandelions, cacti, aloe vera, artichoke leaves, see where I am going with this? then I toss it like a salad and then put it out there for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.