Introducing Pink and Cream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rawlins, Wyoming
You may think of them as being named after Mrs. Corey Hart and the 1960s group that included Eric Clapton. Or you may think of them as being named for the two colors of nail polish I had in my cupboard, to dot on their little backs for indentification lol. Either way, these two little girls have come to join my Torty in what will eventually be a breeding group.
The seller said they were 2 years old, but they are 1/3 the weight of Torty, who is only 15 months old. They eat really well and have already put on a couple of grams each in the 5 days they've been here, so if they are really 2 years old they may not have been getting enough groceries. Cream is the smaller of the two. Her growth lines are tiny and she has some pyramiding.
Both of them have slightly soft plastrons. They are under a new MVB and are getting calcium on their food. I wish I could get them outside for some sunshine, but that is probably a couple of months off here. I had bought a couple of jars of baby food in case I needed to do soaks. This evening I offered them a bit of the carrots and they gobbled it down.
Tomorrow I will be trying to get fecal samples from all 3 Hermanns so the vet can take a look. I hope to be able to put the three together in a nice new enclosure in a few weeks.

Pink 90 g, Cream 78 g
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums...s Tortoises/Pink and Cream/100_0347.jpg[/IMG]

Wierd! Every other time I've used Photobucket the photo would show without opening it. I don't think I did anything different this time....

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
He hasn't a clue. He's a young thing himself and doesn't think about such things. I'm hoping that as long as the space is large, the groceries are abundant, and there are nice hiding places they'll live together compatably as they continue to grow.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Turns out that Torty had a clean fecal, while Pink and Cream both have significant parasite loads. The vet is out of panacur granules, but will get some in by Wednesday. Interestingly, both Pink and Cream had mites in their samples as well. The mites don't look like any in the vet's resources, so she's trying to find out what they are and where they are coming from. I'm taking in a sample of the cypress bedding to be checked, hoping for a negative on that.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Parasites on such cute torts?! :( That's quite a bummer. Hope everything does turn out best for you. Keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.