Cream, At School

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rawlins, Wyoming
My students help me write my to-do list each Friday. It's a way they can help me stay organized and make sure that things we talk about in class become things that happen in class. About a month ago one of my girls told me to put "Bring tortoises to school" on my list. I told her I'd write "Think about bringing tortoises to school" instead because I wasn't sure if it was a good idea.
This weekend I cleaned my 20 long tank and got it set up in my classroom. I decided to bring Cream to school each day. I'm a bit worried about her, and it seems like a good way to keep an eye on her as well as giving her time to eat, sleep, etc with no interference from the other tort.
I got Cream about 6 weeks ago. Her first fecal showed a significant parasite load. She had pin and round worms, and lots of ingested mites. After her first round or wormer (twice, two weeks apart) she still had some worms. We are in the middle of wormer, round 2. She weighs just under 100g. A few of those grams she's gained while with me, but she's just started to feel solid and heavy, with no apparent growth.

Here's the new habitat.
ClassroomHabitat3-27-1.jpg

Cream in the warm spot.
ClassroomHabitatBaskingArea.jpg

The cool end, with moss and plants.
ClassroomHabitatCoolSide.jpg

This is Cream's shell. I'd love to see some new smooth growth here.
CreamCloseUp3-31.jpg

Cream3-31.jpg

The students are thrilled to have her in class with us. For me, it's great to be able to see her all day, know when she's basking, getting a bite to eat, or heading off to bury herself in the moss.
I'm moving her twice each day, from home to school and back. I was concerned about doing that, but both of the trips take place during her sleepy times. As long as she stays active and gaining a bit of weight I'll consider it a safe routine.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I wish my teacher had a tortoise in class, that would have been so neat!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
She looks good on the outside, hope you get her all fixed inside....She is a nice looking :tort:

M

Maggie Cummings

She's a beautiful tort and I don't see anything wrong with moving her back and forth...I'd carry her in a small dark box and she should be fine with moving...

Cathy L

5 Year Member
Central Coast of California
I have my Hermann's in my classroom, too. But she stays there overnight. I have a CHE to keep her warm at night. Is there any reason why you have to move her back and forth? Mine is about the same size as yours. Actually, now I have my daughter's there, too. They are in a big underbed box on the counter.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
maggie3fan said:
She's a beautiful tort and I don't see anything wrong with moving her back and forth...I'd carry her in a small dark box and she should be fine with moving...

That is a great idea.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Cathy L said:
I have my Hermann's in my classroom, too. But she stays there overnight. I have a CHE to keep her warm at night. Is there any reason why you have to move her back and forth? Mine is about the same size as yours. Actually, now I have my daughter's there, too. They are in a big underbed box on the counter.

My reasons for moving her back and forth have to do with heating. I would describe our power here as "intermittant." It's not uncommon for the power to be out for 2 hours or longer overnight, and I want it to be easy to put her and my other torts into a cooler with hot packs when I need to. Another heating problem has been boiler controls failing, which can result in the classroom being 110 or warmer overnight. When you add tank heating to that it could be a disaster, so she's a commuter, like me!

Cathy L

5 Year Member
Central Coast of California
Edna said:
Cathy L said:

My reasons for moving her back and forth have to do with heating. I would describe our power here as "intermittant." It's not uncommon for the power to be out for 2 hours or longer overnight, and I want it to be easy to put her and my other torts into a cooler with hot packs when I need to. Another heating problem has been boiler controls failing, which can result in the classroom being 110 or warmer overnight. When you add tank heating to that it could be a disaster, so she's a commuter, like me!

Oh, wow! Now it makes sense to move her back and forth. I'm glad I don't have to do that! My heating and electricity is pretty regular and I live very close to my school.

Status
Not open for further replies.