Introducing other tortoises

lucycdavies

Location (City and/or State)
Haverfordwest
Hello, I am thinking about getting another baby tortoise to move in with my one (very nearly two) year old spur thighed and I was wondering if they would hurt each other and fight or be friends.
I already know that male and make does not work and that two separate species don't mix either, I'd appreciate any tips about introducing tortoises, thank you

zovick

10 Year Member!
Have you read any of the numerous posts since you joined about the inadvisability of keeping two tortoises together, be they the same species or not? It is definitely not recommended. Additionally, the size difference between a nearly two year old and a new baby would put the baby in some jeopardy. as well as make it hard for it to get any food. Depending upon the size of your first tortoise, the baby could have its head bitten off or be injured otherwise just trying to eat.

Your existing tortoise doesn't need a friend. It is far happier by itself than it would be with another tortoise in its home territory.

You should set up a separate enclosure for the second tortoise if you ant another baby one that badly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, I am thinking about getting another baby tortoise to move in with my one (very nearly two) year old spur thighed and I was wondering if they would hurt each other and fight or be friends.
I already know that male and make does not work and that two separate species don't mix either, I'd appreciate any tips about introducing tortoises, thank you
I agree with Zovic.

Tortoises should never be housed in pairs. Not any species and not any age or size. Groups of juveniles can sometimes work, but not pairs. Tortoises don't want or need companions. They are solitary. Other tortoises are seen as intruders or marauders, not as friends.

You would also have to quarantine any new tortoises for several months to make sure you are not bringing in anything contagious to your existing tortoise.

Reactions: Ink

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA