Introducing Arthur...

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Not enjoying my day so much anymore :(
We had to take Arthur to the vet today...he has an infection and is on oral antibiotics for the next 3-4 weeks. The vet said it's the viv...tortoise table here we come! What do I need to make sure we have so we don't get it wrong again?

Tidgy's Dad - not much of a cheese lover sorry!
Marinated Mamma - do you have a pic of what you did for your niece? I'm a visual learner so I'd like to see how to do the light bit. Thanks in advance :)
Sorry about that, hope to hear things are better soon.

Please keep us updated, and good luck!

Marinated mamma

South east uk
Not enjoying my day so much anymore :(
We had to take Arthur to the vet today...he has an infection and is on oral antibiotics for the next 3-4 weeks. The vet said it's the viv...tortoise table here we come! What do I need to make sure we have so we don't get it wrong again?

Tidgy's Dad - not much of a cheese lover sorry!
Marinated Mamma - do you have a pic of what you did for your niece? I'm a visual learner so I'd like to see how to do the light bit. Thanks in advance :)
No but I'm seeing her this week as she's going to go pick up her little fella she's just been waiting for her substrate to dry etc so I'll get some pics and post them she's set her lighting up in a ceramic fitting that clips on with screws she brought it from Amazon (although I have heard bad reports about these hers seems legit) I'll get the sellers info too she brought her bulb somewhere good too (sorry I'm a blonde memory of a goldfish) she attached the fitting to a bracket on the wall ubove her sideways viv for the correct height and as her little fella grows she can just change the sideways viv to a table/bookcase/empty large drawer/whatever etc! Substrates, temperature and humidity are really important depending on what species you have! Check out the mistakes that beginners make pages and the other threads there's loads of info on here that I wish I had access to when I was starting out. And remember that's what all these guys are here for! There be loads of information others who have same species as you can help you with and will be all to willing! I'm really glad I found this site as I'm still learning things that I never knew it's brilliant!

Marinated mamma

South east uk
There's loads of ideas online for tort tables I saw one from an old planter box on Pinterest that was brilliant and a bookcase without shelves obviously ingenious idea!

Marinated mamma

South east uk
Thanks for the help and support. I have read all the threads. I just feel sad for Arthur and feel like I've let him down already! I didn't like the vet much and I'm definitely not looking forward to giving him his medicine this afternoon. :(
Bless you! Don't feel bad at least you are a caring mumma and are looking into fixing things! We all make mistakes and sometimes some of the things we try work out and sometimes some don't!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thanks for the help and support. I have read all the threads. I just feel sad for Arthur and feel like I've let him down already! I didn't like the vet much and I'm definitely not looking forward to giving him his medicine this afternoon. :(
I agree with @Marinated mamma : you needn't feed bad/sad; if you're doing what you can to look after your cute tort.

JSW

Hello,

My name is Julia. My husband and I live in the UK and are new owners of an 18 month old Hermann's tortoise named Arthur. We have had Arthur since the end of June and I have used this forum a lot when searching for information on typical tortoise behaviour as we have never owned a tortoise or any other reptile before.
I am loving being a 'parent' to Arthur but am not loving the stress I feel when he changes his behaviour! He never seems to do the same things twice! Please tell me that the stress levels go down over time... I just want to have a happy and healthy tortoise and want to get it as right as I can. This is more complicated than I thought!
Because I was using this site to answer my questions, I thought I would join and be part of the community instead of being on the outside looking in.
Enjoy your day!!

Welcome! I'm a new member to the community and have already been educated and felt so supported!

Rachael403

NE, USA
Welcome to the forum. I know its easy to get discouraged when things go "wrong" with our tort/ turtle children, but don't beat yourself up. Animals forgive us for making mistakes, and as long as we continue to learn we will take the best care of our animals as we possibly can. People on here are awesome and will give you the information you need.