Introducing Arthur...

Curlybird

Location (City and/or State)
Berkshire, UK
Hello,

My name is Julia. My husband and I live in the UK and are new owners of an 18 month old Hermann's tortoise named Arthur. We have had Arthur since the end of June and I have used this forum a lot when searching for information on typical tortoise behaviour as we have never owned a tortoise or any other reptile before.
I am loving being a 'parent' to Arthur but am not loving the stress I feel when he changes his behaviour! He never seems to do the same things twice! Please tell me that the stress levels go down over time... I just want to have a happy and healthy tortoise and want to get it as right as I can. This is more complicated than I thought!
Because I was using this site to answer my questions, I thought I would join and be part of the community instead of being on the outside looking in.
Enjoy your day!!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello,

My name is Julia. My husband and I live in the UK and are new owners of an 18 month old Hermann's tortoise named Arthur. We have had Arthur since the end of June and I have used this forum a lot when searching for information on typical tortoise behaviour as we have never owned a tortoise or any other reptile before.
I am loving being a 'parent' to Arthur but am not loving the stress I feel when he changes his behaviour! He never seems to do the same things twice! Please tell me that the stress levels go down over time... I just want to have a happy and healthy tortoise and want to get it as right as I can. This is more complicated than I thought!
Because I was using this site to answer my questions, I thought I would join and be part of the community instead of being on the outside looking in.
Enjoy your day!!
Hi Julia, and a very welcome to the forum! :)

Do not worry/panic: torts do NOT like change, so it takes them time-A LOT of time to adapt. Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and the care sheet on Hermann torts, and keep asking questions: we are here to help.:D

Any pics of Arthur and his enclosure would help in giving advise.;)

Curlybird

Berkshire, UK
Thank you for the welcomes...I think I am learning that Arthur doesn't like change. He has a 'look' that says 'what the....?' How much time to adapt is alot? My account pic is Arthur...I'll try and get some more on. As to his enclosure, I hesitate to mention it because I know, from reading the forums, they are not very popular. He seems happy enough.
:):<3::tort:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thank you for the welcomes...I think I am learning that Arthur doesn't like change. He has a 'look' that says 'what the....?' How much time to adapt is alot? My account pic is Arthur...I'll try and get some more on. As to his enclosure, I hesitate to mention it because I know, from reading the forums, they are not very popular. He seems happy enough.
:):<3::tort:

Personally I cannot give you numbers as far as time is concerned, sorry.:( This may alter from one tort to another. Maye @Yvonne G can help here.

Am I to understand that cute little Arthur lives outside? If so, please be careful.:rolleyes:

Curlybird

Berkshire, UK
No he doesn't live outside. He goes for a supervised wander when the sun is shining as I know nothing beats natural light. He lives in a vivarium which I know is not a very popular choice but it has good ventilation and a steady temperature range. We chose it because we wanted Arthur to be safe and warm. I was just wondering on time scale for settling in as I just want a happy tort. :D

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
No he doesn't live outside. He goes for a supervised wander when the sun is shining as I know nothing beats natural light. He lives in a vivarium which I know is not a very popular choice but it has good ventilation and a steady temperature range. We chose it because we wanted Arthur to be safe and warm. I was just wondering on time scale for settling in as I just want a happy tort. :D
Any pics of the vivarium?;) Pics always help in giving advise. :)

Definitely, the sun is more healthy than bulbs. I take Oli :<3: out for so-called "walks" when the weather permits. Unfortunately, we are now stuck at home due to a HEAT WAVE whereas temperature reaches 37 degrees C during the day,and drops so as to say, to 22 degrees C at night!;)

Curlybird

Berkshire, UK
Where abouts in the world are you? I don't think I could cope with those temps! Seems like both you and Oli will need to stay hydrated :cool:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Julia, and welcome to the Forum!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Julia, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Arthur.
If, like me, you are the type to get stressed and worry about your tortoises every change, habit, mood swing, tastes and sleeping patterns etc, then, no, i'm afraid it never stops. It's 'cause we love them and is better than the alternative. (not saying other people don't love their torts, it's just my pyschology, and maybe yours to be a worrier.) You do get used to worrying though and become aware it's probably nothing to worry about even though you still worry anyway! :)
Or is that just me.
Tortoises don't like change in their territory, except for fresh food appearing, and take time to adapt. It varies from individual to individual, some are more outgoing than others.
Vivariums can make good enclosures if they're set up right and big enough, size is the usual problem, but if done correctly can be much better than, say, a tortoise table in that it is easier to make a closed chamber and keep in the humidity and control the temperatures.

Curlybird

Berkshire, UK
Awww, thanks for all the welcomes! :)

Tidgy's Dad - we sound scarily similar! I worry about everything to do with Arthur! My husband is more chilled. I wish I was more like him. Thanks for the reassurance about our choice of vivarium as his home. It's roughly 4ft by 2ft - big enough for him until he grows some. Arthur is approx. 7cm. I say approximately because he won't sit still long enough for me to measure him.

I hope everyone is enjoying their day :)

Marinated mamma

South east uk
If you turn your viv on its side so the doors are at the top and then remove the glass doors then tada problem solved! Obviously you have to suspend the lighting ubove buts it's very easy! Just set my nieces baby up like this and she was amazed x

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Awww, thanks for all the welcomes! :)

Tidgy's Dad - we sound scarily similar! I worry about everything to do with Arthur! My husband is more chilled. I wish I was more like him. Thanks for the reassurance about our choice of vivarium as his home. It's roughly 4ft by 2ft - big enough for him until he grows some. Arthur is approx. 7cm. I say approximately because he won't sit still long enough for me to measure him.

I hope everyone is enjoying their day :)
I am so far, thanks. :)
We do seem to have some similarities, wifey is more calm than I am, regarding our Tidgy at least.
Do you love cheese ?;)
Yes, he'll need a bigger place soon, 4' by 8' would be a minimum for an adult and they grow so fast!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I am so far, thanks. :)
We do seem to have some similarities, wifey is more calm than I am, regarding our Tidgy at least.
Do you love cheese ?;)
Yes, he'll need a bigger place soon, 4' by 8' would be a minimum for an adult and they grow so fast!
Glad to hear you're enjoying your day. :D

I'm another one who worries like MAD, when it comes to Oli.:(

Marinated mamma

South east uk
Hi by the way I was at work earlier and messaging while my lady was under the dryer (hairdresser) cannot remember if I even said hello ... How very rude of me!

And trust me it's normal to worry! Sometimes I watch mine for hours the whole time planning new things they need how healthy they are how happy they are etc ... I'm sure it's not normal unless you are a tortoise owner ;)

Curlybird

Berkshire, UK
Not enjoying my day so much anymore :(
We had to take Arthur to the vet today...he has an infection and is on oral antibiotics for the next 3-4 weeks. The vet said it's the viv...tortoise table here we come! What do I need to make sure we have so we don't get it wrong again?

Tidgy's Dad - not much of a cheese lover sorry!
Marinated Mamma - do you have a pic of what you did for your niece? I'm a visual learner so I'd like to see how to do the light bit. Thanks in advance :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco