inside garden

Status
Not open for further replies.

neonsparklexoxo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
syracuse new york
ok. so i have been really looking into trying to make a garden full of grasses and weeds and small flowers inside (despite my black thumb that i inherited from my mother) i would love to be able to transplant fresh grasses and stuff from the small garden into the sulcata table and leopard table once it is substantially grown enough to not be completely destroyed in a matter of minutes. the only problem is i really don't know where to start for making the garden, like what to use. i know what seeds to get but i don't know how to plant them or if i can even transplant them into the tables. ive tried reading about it but its impossible for me to understand some of it. please help me!! btw i want it indoors so i can have it year around, it snows here... im 20 min from Syracuse new York. idk if it is even possible to have it year round..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use coconut coir for a substrate. I grew grass and weeds from seeds right in the coir the first winter I had my leopard. I did it in little tote boxes with low sides. When the stuff was up and ready to feed, I would bury the tote so the lip was level with the substrate so my Leo could walk right into it and eat. I did two, so I always had one ready when I restarted the one he already ate.

neonsparklexoxo

5 Year Member
syracuse new york
wellington said:
I use coconut coir for a substrate. I grew grass and weeds from seeds right in the coir the first winter I had my leopard. I did it in little tote boxes with low sides. When the stuff was up and ready to feed, I would bury the tote so the lip was level with the substrate so my Leo could walk right into it and eat. I did two, so I always had one ready when I restarted the one he already ate.
thankyou! I didn't even think about just doing 2 smaller ones, that is way better than my idea of one big one and digging them out as I go. lol and yeah I have coconut coir and sphagnum moss as bedding on both sides. should the plants be on the hot side under the uvb basking light or on the cooler end ? I don't want them to die off before the tort eats them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Away from the hottest heat. They will dry up too fast.

Flash2013 said:
Wellington
Could you post a picture?

I don't do it any more. I will see if I have an old pic with one in it.

neonsparklexoxo

5 Year Member
syracuse new york
wellington said:

Flash2013 said:
Wellington

what do you feed your tort, dry grasses or fresh or a combo. my baby leopard im worried isn't eating as good as I think he should be. it may be because the temp is a bit low on the cool end but he is always on that end and doesn't really go to the warm side with the basking light.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can't believe I found one. This one is planted with seeds, aloe Vera and some hens and chicks. My Leo is in it eating.
7c18d3537b17942da7502b8dedbfd735.jpg

neonsparklexoxo

5 Year Member
syracuse new york
neonsparklexoxo said:
wellington said:

Flash2013 said:
Wellington

what do you feed your tort, dry grasses or fresh or a combo. my baby leopard im worried isn't eating as good as I think he should be. it may be because the temp is a bit low on the cool end but he is always on that end and doesn't really go to the warm side with the basking light.

lepoard table.jpg this is what I have right now. the grasses in it is just common grass and is starting to dry up but he seems to eat it better dry, and he has fresh greens in the dish next to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

neonsparklexoxo

5 Year Member
syracuse new york
wellington said:
Can't believe I found one. This one is planted with seeds, aloe Vera and some hens and chicks. My Leo is in it eating.
7c18d3537b17942da7502b8dedbfd735.jpg
I love it. I need to order some of the different seeds online to plant.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My Leo is now two. However, I have always fed, grocery greens of spring mix, kale, mustard greens, dandelions, endive, turnip greens, Xmas cactus, hens and chicks, and the seed mix and cactus. When he finally started eating Mazuri, around 17months? Or so, I started to feed that too. I feed this summer and winter. However in the summer, he also gets outside to graze on grass, dandelion, clover, Rose of Sharon flower and leaves, cactus, hostas, and whatever else is growing he wants to eat. I have thrown lots of seeds around, I just don't remember what, a big mixture.

neonsparklexoxo

5 Year Member
syracuse new york
wellington said:
My Leo is now two. However, I have always fed, grocery greens of spring mix, kale, mustard greens, dandelions, endive, turnip greens, Xmas cactus, hens and chicks, and the seed mix and cactus. When he finally started eating Mazuri, around 17months? Or so, I started to feed that too. I feed this summer and winter. However in the summer, he also gets outside to graze on grass, dandelion, clover, Rose of Sharon flower and leaves, cactus, hostas, and whatever else is growing he wants to eat. I have thrown lots of seeds around, I just don't remember what, a big mixture.

thank you for all the help and information!! you have really been a ton of help. more help than any online care information sheet or even website!

Status
Not open for further replies.