Information about indoor grass growing

Bowsersmama

Location (City and/or State)
KY
Hey, everyone I have a couple questions I’m trying to possibly maybe get sod or something of the sort to grow indoors this winter I live in Kentucky it doesn’t get real cold, but sometimes it does but I want to make sure my shell baby Bowser has everything he needs and he loves grazing as they all do and I want to keep his healthy, balanced diet going even through the winter months are coming. Plus here we get rain a lot and I mean excessive rain in our location. Can I get some suggestions please and thank you I’m advanced.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get yourself like 3 or 4 low sided trays more if you want, that you can plant the grass in. Then as they sprout enough grass, put one of the tags in with your tort. Once he has eaten or trampled it, switch it out for another one and replant in the one you just took out.
Getting sod though, is not the best idea as it's got plastic mesh attached to it. Get seeds and space the planting of the trays out so they aren't all ready at the same time.

Bowsersmama

KY
Get yourself like 3 or 4 low sided trays more if you want, that you can plant the grass in. Then as they sprout enough grass, put one of the tags in with your tort. Once he has eaten or trampled it, switch it out for another one and replant in the one you just took out.
Getting sod though, is not the best idea as it's got plastic mesh attached to it. Get seeds and space the planting of the trays out so they aren't all ready at the same time.
Thank you so much!

Bowsersmama

KY
Thanks so much!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Don't use sod. It is full of chemicals. Sprout your own. You can also buy the little plots of sprouted wheat grass sold at pet stores or some super markets. If you keep those watered and in a window sill, you can get 8 or 9 cuttings out of them.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
The wheatgrass is easy to grow. Even I can grow it and believe me that is the truth. 🤣

Bowsersmama

KY
Don't use sod. It is full of chemicals. Sprout your own. You can also buy the little plots of sprouted wheat grass sold at pet stores or some super markets. If you keep those watered and in a window sill, you can get 8 or 9 cuttings out of them.
Sounds good thank you so much.

kimncline15

New Orleans, LA
HI @wellington - What kind of trays do you recommend? I'm picturing cookie trays with a 1 inch lip around the edge? Let me know if you use a better alternative! Thanks