Indoor tortoise enclosure for baby sulcata

ccalderon

Okay, I have my tortoise in a tortoise table bit from reading on this forum that apparently is not ideal. Can anyone post pics of their inclosure. I am very visual and pics would definitely help. Thank to all in advance :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Indoor tortoise inclosure for baby sulcata

Check out these here http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forum-7.html
You can also build the sides up of your table if they are not very tall and then put a cover over the table, all if it or at least 3/4 of it.
Also, please read Toms threads below in my post for proper housing and care for your sully.

ccalderon

Re: Indoor tortoise inclosure for baby sulcata

I replaced the dry pellets to coconut coir and moved him from his tortoise table to a rubber made container and got a piece of plexiglass to cover the top. One thing I am not happy with is my light fixture, its a zilla brand with a flexible arm and a clamp. It has a uva uvb plus heat bulb.

And thank yall so much for the help. I am a big worrier and just want him to be healthy and happy :)

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Indoor tortoise inclosure for baby sulcata

Yaaaaaaaaaaay! I bet your baby is happy [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] I have clamps on my lamps, I don't use the clamp parts though. I do not trust them. They are bound to give out someday and fall, which is a disaster waiting to happen. I am not putting my tortoises' lives in danger over a dumb light fixture.

Is the clamp removable on your fixture?

ccalderon

It looks like this. I think it can be removed. I don't trust those clamps either. My husband is going to fix it so its safe. I also wasn't sure about the red container. Its something I already had and im not opposed to getting a different color/size ect. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 1390702329952.jpg
    1390702329952.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 151

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ

I had lamps like that for a little while too. What I did to make them safe was put a 2x2 piece of wood under the neck of the light so it didn't fall in. Then I put the plexiglass over it and cut a hole around the lamp. The color should be ok. Mine are blue because I like blue :)

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida

The color's fine, at the time I got clear tubs so I could see into them. I didn't have the money at the time to get plexiglass for the tops.

ccalderon

How tall do you think the sides should be? He just seems so much more active in his tortoise table than the rubber made container. I can put a plexiglass on the tortoise table. What to do, what to do:-/

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ

Just my two cents.. My torts were very obsessive and stressed when they were in a clear container because they were trying to get out. The theory of the grass is always greener on the other side. But there are many experienced people on the forum that like clear containers. So it does come down to preference and how your tort acts. Just my humble opinion [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

ccalderon

It the red container he was just hiding up against the edge. I moved him back to his previous home and I am putting a plexiglass top on tomorrow I jist need to get another size. Since being moved back hes eating and moving around and is very active. I changed the substrate from the dry pellets to the coconut coir so I think I am going to leave as is and just monitor his behavior and health closely. And "he" could be a she for all I know. :) thank you for all of your advice. It is greatly appreciated!!!

Ooops didn't add the pic

Attachments

• 1390708613977.jpg
    1390708613977.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 148

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Your tortoise will likely start to pyramid in that open topped enclosure. Watch closely for this. The farther you let it go the harder it will be to stop it.

ccalderon

Even if I cover the top?

I will definitely go with a deeper home I just think my light isn't sufficient for heat. Which I can get another or a better one

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

ccalderon said:
Even if I cover the top?

Depends on how well covered it is, how much heat and humidity you are able to trap in there, and how stable it all is. Covering the top will help.

ccalderon

Okay, I will monitor him very closely. I do appreciate and thank you for all of your advice!!! One more question, I was soaking him today and he either peed or pooped out some white stuff, is that normal?

pumita07

Hello I recently got a baby sulcata tortoise as well and I was wondering what you feed it??

ccalderon

If you go to the sulcata section and read the top post there is a lot of great information on feeding, housing etc. Best of luck with your baby :)

Jenblalock003

ccalderon said:
How tall do you think the sides should be? He just seems so much more active in his tortoise table than the rubber made container. I can put a plexiglass on the tortoise table. What to do, what to do:-/

To keep humidity high I used Yvonne's idea of the tin foil. It helps A LOT! It's not the prettiest but it works. :)