Indoor excercise area

Status
Not open for further replies.

adsum

5 Year Member
So, thinking ahead to a day when our new tortoises will do something other than hope we won't eat them if they are very, very, very, quiet...

We have a large tiled bathroom where the tiles are heated. We can close the closet door and toilet door and it's just a big square room. It seems like this would be an ideal spot for our little guys to get out and about during the long pnw winter months. We could easily set up a second mvb in there. Would the benefit from spending time roaming in a bigger area like that, or would it be of little benefit since they wouldn't have anything to dig into?

Of course, I'm thinking supervised play-time here- just to give them an opportunity to be out and about a bit, after they settle in.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I think that if you have a heated floor and it is not uber slick for walking then woooo hoooo....it is like when you take the kids to the park....EXTRA ROOOOOM to run a muck.....

I would say that if you do this, also expect them to seem a little dis satisfied with their enclosure only ...I mean if you get them use to the big roaming area you will have to get use to them wanting to do it....:D

I am guessing that you are looking for extra room during the cold season since they can not be outside, right? :p

adsum

5 Year Member
Yes, exactly. When it warms up- the plan is for them to spend lots of time outside.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The only thing I'd worry about would be if the tile is slick and they'd have no traction (bad for the leg joints).

adsum

5 Year Member
Thanks guys! It's ceramic tile and has some texture to it. It's not particularly slick-even when wet.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Keep in mind what your using to clean that floor, it may be toxic to the tortoise. You will need to clean if very very well before using.

Also, in the bathroom is where I brush my hair. Where do you do that? Asking because when I brush, I shed a lot of hair (also when I wash my hair in the bathroom). This means a higher chance of my hair being consumed by a tortoise (if one lived on my bathroom floor). Especially, as in my case, if you have long hair this is bad. Short hair can also be problematic.

There are usually lots of little bits of this and that that end up on the floor... be careful.

adsum

5 Year Member
Excellent points! We will be sure to sweep and then follow up with a dry swiffer before any tortoise is allowed to roam the room.

I am a fanatic about cleaning supplies. I stick to vinegar and water or very diluted bleach & water or just plain water, whenever possible. We're a shoes off household so that really cuts down on the need to clean the tile. When I do, it's generally just water on a microfiber towel- unless there is cause to do more. Definitely an important thing for us to keep in mind going forward!!

Status
Not open for further replies.