Incubators

jp07

5 Year Member
Just wanted to get an idea of how many keepers use home made verse bought incubators and the designs of homemade ones.

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I used several different types of home made incubators over the years. The Hovabators and Little Giants are just work better and are easier. They only cost about $50. I like the depth of the Hovabators better since they accommodate my shoe boxes, but I like the thermostat and controls better on the Little Giant. The Hovabator is only 25 watts while the Little Giant is 40 watt, so it resists temperature fluctuation just a bit more. I've hatched lots of healthy babies out of both. Nowadays I use a big bird brooder from Brinsea, but this isn't practical or cost effective. I just happened to already have it from raising baby birds and it hold a very precise temperature very well. I've got plans to build a big incubator out of an old gutted stand up freezer, but that is a ways off.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I use hovabators (that I bought cheap on craigslist) but I also have a more expensive refrigerator kind which works no better nor worse than the cheap hovabator (other than keeping the temperature more consistent.)

jp07

5 Year Member
Thanks for that. I'm looking to introduce my girls and male next week in their new enclosure and eventually mix our uromastyx with them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not recommend housed your uromastyx with your tortoises. Not a good idea on so many levels.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I use a Hovabator that I got for $18 of Craigslist. However, I've found the dial thermostat not to be very reliable, with huge fluctuations, so I actually use a Hydrofarm digital thermostat to control the temperature. Easy to add, just by plugging the incubator into the thermostat, and running the probe into the incubation substrate. I had a 100% hatch rate so far. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have always used Little Giant Bird Brooder, but this past year I was gifted with a Reptibator and I LOVE it!!!