In the backyard w/o an enclosure.

thecrawlingchaos

10 Year Member!
I'd been considering building an outdoor enclosure for my 4 year old pardalis. He's a hair over 15lbs, and gets around very well.

The other day my wife and I were out gardening. It was about 82 degrees, so I decided to get the tortoise out. he seemed to love it, munching on grass and clover (and some live forevers) the whole time, then hiding under a hosta to cool off.

I guess my question is whether I should even bother to build and enclosure at this point. I have a relatively new 6ft privacy fence and have not fed or put weed control products in the yard for the time I've owned the property (5 years). I do have a dog, but he is not allowed outside when the tortoise is roaming, and I always remove his leavings thoroughly before releasing the tortoise. A few inaccessible beds have been treated with Preen garden weed preventer. It's not exposed and has been covered by a thick layer of cypress mulch.

I've had him out 5 times total now. The longest was 3 hours. All went well and without incident. I check on the tort every 15 minutes or so just to be safe. I also have no intention to leave him out 24-7 at this time, just during peak sunlight hours on days that I am home.

I appreciate any feedback.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As long as your yard is fenced in and you don't let your dog out while he is out and you don't have any large predators that would come In to,your yard during the time he is out, then, yes, he can roam your yard. I would not let him into the beds that you said were treated.

thecrawlingchaos

10 Year Member!
Yeah, I definitely watch for him near the treated beds. The only non-grass/clover vegetation he's been eating are the live forever succulents, and they aren't in the treated area. Otherwise, he just runs over stuff.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I would section off a large part of the yard to tortoise proof, because I know at some point I would forget he is out there and run to the store or let the dog out. That's just me though. Better safe than sorry.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Make absolutely sure the yard is escape proof and that no potential predators have access and the tort couldn't possibly get to the treated area.
He will love the freedom the biggest possible area provides, so I would do it, if I considered it totally safe.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I'd been considering building an outdoor enclosure for my 4 year old pardalis. He's a hair over 15lbs, and gets around very well.

The other day my wife and I were out gardening. It was about 82 degrees, so I decided to get the tortoise out. he seemed to love it, munching on grass and clover (and some live forevers) the whole time, then hiding under a hosta to cool off.

I guess my question is whether I should even bother to build and enclosure at this point. I have a relatively new 6ft privacy fence and have not fed or put weed control products in the yard for the time I've owned the property (5 years). I do have a dog, but he is not allowed outside when the tortoise is roaming, and I always remove his leavings thoroughly before releasing the tortoise. A few inaccessible beds have been treated with Preen garden weed preventer. It's not exposed and has been covered by a thick layer of cypress mulch.

I've had him out 5 times total now. The longest was 3 hours. All went well and without incident. I check on the tort every 15 minutes or so just to be safe. I also have no intention to leave him out 24-7 at this time, just during peak sunlight hours on days that I am home.

I appreciate any feedback.

Alot of folks way back in time have cut loose the tortoise in their fenced yard with wonderful success....the dog would be the concern and should never be left out in the yard without the human....not even for a moment.....