I'm New!! (Leopard Tortoise)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceg827

5 Year Member
I am VERY new to the Tortoise world! I am looking to purchase a Leopard Tortoise, have done minimal research, and would love any advice you could offer would be fantastic.

I would be keeping the Tort mainly inside except for the warm/hot summer days in which I would take it outside to play.

Cary

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
Welcome. I suggest you do a lot more research before determing which tort you want. Leopards are nice and easy to keep inside while young, but you only have about 2 years before they are too big to keep inside constantly. Unless you have a decent yard to let them roam and eat, I suggest you go with a different breed. Do you have any specific questions about torts you want to ask? Different breeds, sizes, proper care?

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) Russians are an awesome first tortoise they dont get big :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I too have a leopard. I live in the colder state of Illinois. My leopard is two this month and is inside. He will actually probably be able to be kept inside for another 1-2 years, my guesstimate. He now is only 6 1/2 inches. It big enough yet to be outside 24/7. When he is, he will have to have a heated enclosure. So, if you can't afford to heat an outdoor enclosure for him when the time comes, then I would suggest a small species like the Russian, hermanns or Greeks. That said, the best info I can give you is in Toms threads below in my post. Even the sulcata threads will apply. Read them. If you still want a leopard, make sure it's from a reputable breeder. Most anyone on this forum, that is an active member I would trust. Also, the babcocki leopards are the smaller of the two species of leopards. That is the kind I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.