I'm new at this - Help!

RainsOn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE OK
I am a first time owner as of 6-22-14. So far, "Digger" has survived my good intentions. I cannot believe how attached I am to him. Anyway, I put sand in his habitat and the next thing I knew he was scratching one eye. I noticed a small amount of matter in the corner of the eye and it seemed a tiny receded and smaller than the other. I have been reading this forum ever since I got him and read where drops can be administered for eye issues. I want to know: How the heck do you put drops in the eye of a tortoise ??????

P.S. I am in a small rural town; vet is 2 1/2 hrs. away. Digger 03.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have no idea how to put drops in a tortoise's eye:) but I would get rid of the sand, if they swallow it it can cause impactions.

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Sand is gone! Replaced with organic soil. He is alert and active. As we speak, Digger is basking under his heat light, watching me. Eye looks better today but he was rubbing it earlier.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
While they would have 'sand' in the wild, it is a different composition to what we get in N.America and Europe at stores, and it can sometimes cause problems. Organic soil is an excellent choice!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Get artificial tears or saline solution made for human eyes and just dribble it over his irritated eye several times per day. Some solution will go in. Give him a good soak daily for a week then 2x per week as long as he is in an inside enclosure. You can dribble water over his eye during the soak too.
Eventually start thinking about an outside enclosure. You think he is happy now? ;)

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Thank you, all. I feel better just getting response. I have artificial tears. Have been doing the soak twice a week.
Story: I put some plantain (herbal tincture for skin problems) on a cotton swab and dabbed it on his eye lid. He came out of his shell and tilted his head up so I could reach it better. Awwwww
We are off for a soak - right now.
P.S. My climate and back yard predators will not allow outdoor enclosure. I did wildlife rehab years ago with orphaned mammals and raptors. I believe that natural is best. I am determined to get good at this - for Digger's sake.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

747117wei24kafiu.gif

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Hi! Thanks for the welcomes. Digger had a soak. I put artificial tears on his eye and we will take exercise in the yard later.