Im glad I save him from his old home

Status
Not open for further replies.

natalie

5 Year Member
I was looking on craigslist the other day and seen this sulcata for sale, called the guy he only wanted $60 for this 20in sulcata. I went to pick him up and this guy lived in a trailer, he told me how he feed him only once a week cuz he had no money, how he would let his dogs attack him, and how the tortoise would eat the dry wall!!! The poor tortoise was in bad shape :( so I took him home read all about him and have been feeding him very well. We built him a large cage outside and we let him out to eat grass and rome around for a few hours ever day. Today has been about a week since ive owned him and the first few days he wasnt pooping to well. And today he did but look what i found inside his poop and i had to pull it the rest of the way out!!! Clearly this tortoise was starving and was eating anything he could find at his old owners house. (yes that is a mardi gras beaded necklace)

P8080901.jpg

P8050885.jpg

P8020854.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
The beginning of your post almost sounds like a bad joke, for how he was kept he looks pretty darn good, poor guy, at least he has a nicer home now.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
What a sad story with a great ending. I just picked up another Sulcata today, she is not in as good of shape as yours. What did you name him??? He's a lucky tort:)

natalie

5 Year Member
Missy said:
What a sad story with a great ending. I just picked up another Sulcata today, she is not in as good of shape as yours. What did you name him??? He's a lucky tort:)

I named him lucky, So you think like he looks ok. I kinda was worried about his shell under his neck. I have looked at other pics of large sulcatas and the under his neck part of his shell just seems larger then any i've seen. But im not sure what i could do if that was something wrong?

85hardy

5 Year Member
Poor thing. You should get him e rayed to make sure there isn't anything else in there that he can't digest at all. It might be too big.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
so happy that you have him .. sounds like a good save. Welcome to the forum, you'll find lots of good support here.

teri

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
So glad you saved him. His last owner should be put in jail! Or fined or something. Maybe smacked around. How can people be so cruel?!

85hardy

5 Year Member
What should be done to the guy is what he did to that poor tortoise. He should only be allowed to eat once a week, live in a small space and whatever else he did to him.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Great job, Natalie! He doesn't look to bad from the pictures (actually, he looks pretty good). You should definitely get him x-rayed and try to collect a fresh sample for a fecal exam, as well. Also...it would be nice to see a photo of his underside to be sure he really is a he;)

LadyGreek

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, California
It's people like you that make the Reptile world worth wild! You are awesome for saving this Tort from a life I never thought someone would be so crule and heartless to give. Great job Natalie and I wish you and Lucky nothing but the best! ;)

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
What a lucky tort! So glad he is in a better home with someone that can provide him with the care he needs and deserves. Let us know how he does : )

pebbles

5 Year Member
Aw you're so amazing for saving him! You should call the humane society and file a complaint on animal cruelty on this guy. -_-

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Judging by the dice necklace I'd say your tort definitely has a gambling problem. Get him on a 10 step program ASAP!

jk. Good on you for finally taking care of him. I bet he warms up to you quickly. I have a personal theory that abused animals have the potential to be more personable and loving, so I bet he ends up having such a great personality for you.

natalie

5 Year Member
well guess what everyone? Today i get a call the guy has another sulcata he wants to sell me!! $30 for an 11in male. dont really want another one but cant let him live with him. Anyone in fl who wants him? im going first thing in the morning to buy him. If anyone lives in fl and could give this little guy lots of love message me.

*By the way this afternoon he pooped out chunks of drywall!! (so i guess the guy was honest with that) and looked like part of a plastic bag!!! makes u wonder whats next!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Just be careful, if he thinks he has found an easy mark, he may be calling you up every week.

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
Congrats...Im glad u got him out of that situation. He looks pretty good; I guess its was the Florida weather:D

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
natalie said:
well guess what everyone? Today i get a call the guy has another sulcata he wants to sell me!! $30 for an 11in male. dont really want another one but cant let him live with him. Anyone in fl who wants him? im going first thing in the morning to buy him. If anyone lives in fl and could give this little guy lots of love message me.

*By the way this afternoon he pooped out chunks of drywall!! (so i guess the guy was honest with that) and looked like part of a plastic bag!!! makes u wonder whats next!!

While I hate to see you become a 'target', at least they'll have a good home while you try to sell them...it's hard though. Because, once you acquire one of these guys, they are hard to let go of. My situation is a little different. I have Aladar and I've never in my 47 years seen a tortoise with such personality. He walks like a Galapagos (with his neck fully extended and his head held high)...and when he sees me enter the yard...he "fast-walks" to get to me as fast as he can. This is the ONLY reason I'm selling the yearlings and Mortimer...Aladar has me totally fascinated. Good luck with whatever you decide...and PLEASE keep us posted.:)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I wouldnt "buy' anymore from him.. if he calls again.. offer to take them to do they guy a favor.. but no more money should exchange hands..
Id feed them lots of pumpkin and good food to move things thru as easy as possible...
My enclosure is about 60x100 and there are two large torts out there.. they have a heated house and hide, the 'walls' are made of 2x10 boards, 2 high.. supported by posts and concrete metal stakes nailed into the boards. If they have hides.. they tend not to dig too much. but all are different..
Congrats on new torts..

Status
Not open for further replies.