I'm Brand New

JHat

Location (City and/or State)
Deer Park, TX
Alright i bought a Red Foot 5 days ago. He's just short of 3" long (just his shell). So i'm aware that is fairly young.

A daily routine would be I wake up turn his light on and give him some greens or veggies and i go to work. When i get back home he hasn't moved, he's still burried and "sleeping", I then pick him up and give him a 10 minute bath in warm water and set him back in his Habitat. He then smells around finds his food and eats a substantial bit of it. After he's done eating he immediately goes and buries himself until the next day to where we start this process over.

I basically just want to know, given his age and that he's fairly new to his home, is this normal?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

When you first get up in the a.m. put the tortoise in a bit of warm water then go on about your business of getting ready for work. If you set the bowl back in the habitat next to where the light shines down, the water will stay sort of warm. Get ready for work, prepare the food, then place the tortoise by the food and go to work.

Baby tortoises are prey and stay hidden most of the time. If you get into a routine like what I've posted above, eventually he'll get more used to his lifestyle and you'll start to see more of him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) along with Yvonne's great advice, It might help to make him feel safer about coming out from hiding if you have some plants live or fake to,give him some cover and a sense of security.

JHat

Deer Park, TX
Thanks, I did think about doing that. I thought maybe I would plant edible bush type flowers around the perimeter of his habitat. I was thinking something like the Anagallis Linifolia Flower. I figured it would increase enclosure, humidity and give him somethin to munch on if he needed a snack.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Plants are a good idea. Helps them feel more comfotrable, be warned don't get attached to the plants, they will most likely be eaten. :)