ID and some help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajt36

5 Year Member
Hi, my name is Anthony. I'm not a turtle guy, but I'm hoping you all can help me with an ID and tell me whether I need to try to recapture this turtle. Here's the pic:

PGPhoto.jpg

(I have a few more if this doesn't help.)

The story goes like this... I leave for work this morning, pull out onto the main road, and see this turtly hanging over the edge of the curb. I have to drive down the hill to turn around, but by the time I come back up and park in my driveway again, he (or she) is already in the road. I run over, pick him up, and run back to the house, tell my wife to get a box. I'm already late for work, I'm wearing a suit, but I figure he is probably from the small stream on the other side of our neighbor's property. Problems is I can't get to it... it is down a hill, into a wooded area... and on private property for neighbors I know, but not well enough that I'm going to go walking on their property. So I figure there is a pond around the corner and I see turtles, frogs, fish in it all the time. Even has a beaver in it... so I run him down there and release him.

I honestly never considered that it could be a non-native turtle. Now I'm worried it is a yellow footed turtle, just comparing it to some pics from a Google image search. Sounds like they don't do well in cold, and this is Maryland... wasn't cold last winter, but the two before that were awful.

So now I feel like an idiot. If this had happened on a weekend, I would have had more time to think about what to do. I just assumed it was a native turtle that got way out of its habitat down in the stream (we've had tons of rain lately, including last night.) I suppose a life in the pond for the next 5 or 6 months is better than getting run over by a car today (which most surely would have happened since idiots race down that road in the morning). But if I can fix this, I want to try. The pond is just around the corner, and I can stop out there every couple of days to try to re-capture this turtle, take it to wildlife rehab, or whatever you recommend. And if you tell me it will be fine in a pond in Marlyand over the winter, well, then that's great.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Ant

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi! He is an Eastern box turtle. Where do you live (just the state)? He may be native in your area. However he is not a water turtle, so no pond for him. Chances are even if you went back to where you released him, you would not locate him. I am betting he is safe where you released him and in his native territory.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ant:

If you released the turtle in a wooded area, you did good. That's where eastern box turtles live. They are not only native to Maryland, but to quite a few of the eastern states. Chances are pretty good it is a wild turtle. Thank you for helping him off the road.

ajt36

5 Year Member
OK, well this is all great news to hear. I honestly have been worrying about this all morning, thinking I did the wrong thing. I released him by the pond, figuring he would go where he wanted to go. There are woods all around the pond so I suppose if he is a wood turtle, he has that option too.

He could have very well just been living in my backyard, which is also wooded, and our cul-de-sac abuts up agsint a couple of acres of woods, so he could have been from there too. We don't spray our lawn so birds, deer, rabbits, racoons, and similar animals are always in our yard. I suppose maybe turtles too. We like it that way. :D

I appreciate the ID and you all setting my mind at ease.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Your right, he could have been living in your backyard all along, as it sounds like a great place for one to live. If so, he may find his way back. You did good this morning! Normally what we say is to help them off the road and let them go the direction they were heading when found.

Status
Not open for further replies.