I was wondering..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortulover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
.....seeing as you all are herp fanatics too, are there turtles and tortoises around your house that are not living?? :)
I have a tortoise stepping stone two welcomers on my porch! Tortoise and turtle ornaments everywhere ranging some one made of shells which was a present from the beach to brass snuff boxes and one made of wood and string brought back by my daughter from Malaysia. I have made tortoises from knitting patterns and have a pattern and fabric to sew tortoises ( I have more time right now being newly unemployed and was thinking of making these as little Christmas extras).
I live right beside a pond so every day I drive past and see them all basking with their little heads held high. We've picked up babies from the road and put them to safety.
Last year I had a baby box turtle in my care as he'd been hit by a lawn mower but was uninjured. He went to a wildlife rehab over winter and this spring I released him back into the wild. They say you don't often see babies in the wild, but whilst we were in the mountains in May, on a rainy evening I went to take the dog outside and there was a baby, walking across the yard. I was so thrilled to see something that I had read wasn't common.
How herp crazy are you???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh heck yeah! I have turtle stepping stones, a tortoise hose minder, many, many outdoor tortoise statuary, turtle and tortoise figurines on shelves in the house and...wait for it...even tortoise skeletons from real, live-but-dead tortoises!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Am I reading this wrong. "Are there turtles or tortoises around your house that are not living"?
I don't have any dead ones around my house, or live ones either. I live in the city of Chicago. We did find a neighbors Russian that escaped a couple years ago. Returned safely. However, in the forest preserves and along the banks of the Chicago river there are turtles.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Good question!

We have a little ivory tortoise jewelry thingy that the shell pops off and we keep our wedding rings in that. My wife has a huge stuffed turtle/tortoise she named "Clarence."

And I suppose, subconsciously we are trying to influence our babies to like turtles, because Emory has a stuffed turtle, we have this cool fabric for blankets, rags, etc that has turtles, lizards and bugs on it, and there's a picture of a turtle on the wall.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hahaha, emysemys and I were posting at the same time. After reading her post, I get it:p:D I have one yard tortoise statue and a painted coconut from Hawaii with a sea turtle painted on it. I also have a small trinket bowl with lid that has a sea turtle as the lid handle, also from Hawaii. That's it for me:D

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I have a fossil turtle about 12" long. At least I BELIEVE I do. Apparently the Chinese are masterful counterfeiters of many fossils and this one is said to have been from the Gobi desert. A vertebrate paleontologist at a local university was going to meet with me to authenticate it, but she had to go out on medical leave for a while, so I don't know for sure just yet. I named him "Gompah" which is the Tibetan word for monastery- translates as "house in the solitude." I figured that was a perfect name for a turtle: he takes his "house"/shell with him everywhere! I also have a little silver turtle on a charm bracelet.

Tortulover

5 Year Member
NC
Oh yea, I forgot the tortoise jewelry. My sister just got me a neat necklace from Cyprus. The tortoise shell opens up to hold a pearl. The pearl came inside an oyster in a can. I had to open the can and the oyster to reveal the colour of the pearl. Mine was peachy colour - for love.

I also forgot my coconut tortoise from Florida. He has a moving head.

Emysemys - When I was at the pond one morning I found lots of little baby shells. I don't know if the heron had got them or what. Some shells were intact so I brought it home. My daughter and husband thought that a bit weird, lol.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have so much turtle and tortoise stuff sometimes it is not funny, from statues, to stepping stones, to jewelry, to stuffed animals, to outdoor garden statues to figurines, to books, and videos.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I have a tortoise necklace that I bought the day before I got Carl... I also got tortoise figurines and a little jeweled tortoise statuette. I also recently bought two turtle flower pots, to put plants in for Carl's mealtimes exclusively :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
People are always giving me turtle things. Once I received a pretty nice little metal box that was shaped like a red ear slider. The trouble was, it looked so real that it turned me off. It looked as if they took a live turtle to make a mold. And every time I looked at it I thought a turtle had to die in order for this to be made. I couldn't stand to look at it anymore and gave it away.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Tortulover said:
.....seeing as you all are herp fanatics too, are there turtles and tortoises around your house that are not living?? :)
I have a tortoise stepping stone two welcomers on my porch! Tortoise and turtle ornaments everywhere ranging some one made of shells which was a present from the beach to brass snuff boxes and one made of wood and string brought back by my daughter from Malaysia. I have made tortoises from knitting patterns and have a pattern and fabric to sew tortoises ( I have more time right now being newly unemployed and was thinking of making these as little Christmas extras).
I live right beside a pond so every day I drive past and see them all basking with their little heads held high. We've picked up babies from the road and put them to safety.
Last year I had a baby box turtle in my care as he'd been hit by a lawn mower but was uninjured. He went to a wildlife rehab over winter and this spring I released him back into the wild. They say you don't often see babies in the wild, but whilst we were in the mountains in May, on a rainy evening I went to take the dog outside and there was a baby, walking across the yard. I was so thrilled to see something that I had read wasn't common.
How herp crazy are you???

I've about 3 dozen tortoises made of bone, ceramic, brass, pewter, wood, etc...even got one carved from fossilized walrus ivory, that I was given on my last trip to northern Alaska.

Your idea of making turtle/tortoise-themed Xmas gifts is a good one...check out this site: http://www.etsy.com/

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
I have lots by Phillips enclosure indoors... I also have one in the garden, a nodding tortoise in my car and a tattoo under my arm :)

image-2956224529.png

This is my favourite glass one :)

image-1711831313.png

image-1430931380.png

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
I have a lot of turtle/tortoise stuff. A necklace, statues, I got the turtle pillowpet, and other items. The lady that I work with sold me her Jeep and when I went to take it home I found a sea turtle toy on the dash. She bought it because she knew of my love of turtles :) 3 years later, and it's still riding with me on the dash of my Jeep.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Moozilion said:
I have a fossil turtle about 12" long. At least I BELIEVE I do. Apparently the Chinese are masterful counterfeiters of many fossils and this one is said to have been from the Gobi desert. A vertebrate paleontologist at a local university was going to meet with me to authenticate it, but she had to go out on medical leave for a while, so I don't know for sure just yet. I named him "Gompah" which is the Tibetan word for monastery- translates as "house in the solitude." I figured that was a perfect name for a turtle: he takes his "house"/shell with him everywhere! I also have a little silver turtle on a charm bracelet.

That's ridiculously clever.

As for me? I have many near and dear turtle nicknacks. Be it childhood stuffed animals I've kept and cherished, lawn ornaments, etc.

One particular item is a small turtle made of a sort of enamel/plastic/clay mixture (It's strange texture wise..Not sure what it is made of, but it feels like a mix of those. >.>) that my father gave me long ago when we went on vacation. I was just a little boy and I told him how I really wanted a turtle, but I knew we already had quite a few pets and they wouldn't get another one (Of course we did end up getting a RES a few years later. XD), so he went out and got it for me and it made me quite happy.

I'm also getting a turtle tattoo, no doubt Chinese style tattoo with a waterfall behind it. Many get Koi for good luck..I shall get a turtle for wisdom.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Nixxy said:
Moozilion said:

That's ridiculously clever.

As for me? I have many near and dear turtle nicknacks. Be it childhood stuffed animals I've kept and cherished, lawn ornaments, etc.

One particular item is a small turtle made of a sort of enamel/plastic/clay mixture (It's strange texture wise..Not sure what it is made of, but it feels like a mix of those. >.>) that my father gave me long ago when we went on vacation. I was just a little boy and I told him how I really wanted a turtle, but I knew we already had quite a few pets and they wouldn't get another one (Of course we did end up getting a RES a few years later. XD), so he went out and got it for me and it made me quite happy.

I'm also getting a turtle tattoo, no doubt Chinese style tattoo with a waterfall behind it. Many get Koi for good luck..I shall get a turtle for wisdom.

Looking forward to the unveiling of this piece of art...about ready to get another "tort-too", myself... ;)

Once I decide on the design, of course...my wife, being a Celtic gal, wants me to get one of these:

tribal-turtle-tattoos.jpg
(on left)
images

8.jpg

best-colour-turtle-tattoo-design.jpg
OTOH, some of those are not Celtic, more NA in origen, as am I. :cool:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would love to have a tat like the second picture. The last one I would love to have as my avatar.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would love to have the last one as a tattoo.

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
The last one is beautiful I agree... Under my arm is between arm pit and ribs, I did upload pics in my comment but they didn't show :( I'll try again

image-1504051944.png

This is when it was new and bruised...
And second is my fave hand blown glass tort

image-2242224839.png

Have I run out of pic space on here do you think? I can't c them again

Islandsaints

5 Year Member
Knotts Island
Yep, we have turtle & tortoise things around the yard too. And I am lucky, my husband does metal work so he has made me a few metal silhouettes too!

Tracy

Attachments

• silhouettesBrettBdayDamon 007.JPG
    silhouettesBrettBdayDamon 007.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Status
Not open for further replies.