I think my tort is sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

laney

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aberdeen, Scotland
Still very lethargic but he just ate a little but, not ha huge amount but more than he has for a while so that's good, had to lay him in the food though, he just had a soak and had a little drink so I'm happy he has ate and drank hopefully will give him more energy :)

karleyreed

5 Year Member
laney said:
Still very lethargic but he just ate a little but, not ha huge amount but more than he has for a while so that's good, had to lay him in the food though, he just had a soak and had a little drink so I'm happy he has ate and drank hopefully will give him more energy :)

That's good. Glad to see he's getting there! Always a positive! Fingers crossed for them both.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
The thing I learned about reptile basking lamps is you always need to keep a spare. They don't last long at all compared to a regular light bulb. Maybe because your average household incandescent bulb doesn't get as much daily use. One morning not long from now you'll flip the switch and see a little flash, then it's dead.

I'm wondering if this slow down has something to do with winter? I've seen a few posts lately from people with cold winters and they're saying something similar. My leopard has been going to bed between 2 and 4 pm lately and not eating quite quite as much. It still finishes all the Mazuri but is leaving some of the greens. But while it's up it seems normal enough.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
Tortus said:
The thing I learned about reptile basking lamps is you always need to keep a spare. They don't last long at all compared to a regular light bulb. Maybe because your average household incandescent bulb doesn't get as much daily use. One morning not long from now you'll flip the switch and see a little flash, then it's dead.

I'm wondering if this slow down has something to do with winter? I've seen a few posts lately from people with cold winters and they're saying something similar. My leopard has been going to bed between 2 and 4 pm lately and not eating quite quite as much. It still finishes all the Mazuri but is leaving some of the greens. But while it's up it seems normal enough.

That was my exact thought, and I am hoping it is just due to the weather! We have lots of snow here now, temps are around minus 7 during the day and lower on a night. Thus, making my house colder, even with heating on. He is still eatin, not a great deal but still eating. But would rather laze around and sleep all day than anything else :/

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
I have found that to be true with the temperatures of winter. Today us very cold so I ha

karleyreed

5 Year Member
karleyreed said:
Been to the vets with mike. They said I seem to be doing everything correctly, only thing they noticed was he was a bit squishy, so they told me to wet mikes food before sprinkling the calcium dust on it, I've tried him with cuttlebone and a calcium zoo med block and he won't touch them. They think he may be a little calcium deficient :( but said it won't have done him any harm yet, and to up the temps in his viv. He's too small to have any form of calcium injection so fingers crossed!!!!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I agree, you can never have too many back up bulbs. I prefer to use this type of basking bulb over the tube types. This bulb provides an active hot, basking spot while supplying the needed uv for calcium absorption. On the other end of the enclosure I have a CHE on a thermostat. Day time, while the spot is on, the CHE doesn't come on as often due to the heat supplied by the spot. At night, no light and temps are automatically controlled regardless of room temps.

View attachment 36574

Maybe I'm a powersun hoarder?

View attachment 36575

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Of your tort is a sulcata, his hide should be 90 degrees. His basking high could go to 105 degrees. Warm soaks could be up to 1 hour provided you place a light bulb lamp over him to keep the water warm. Do you see bubbles Coming out of his nose or mouth? Do you hear Strange noises from him?

karleyreed

5 Year Member
sibi said:
Of your tort is a sulcata, his hide should be 90 degrees. His basking high could go to 105 degrees. Warm soaks could be up to 1 hour provided you place a light bulb lamp over him to keep the water warm. Do you see bubbles Coming out of his nose or mouth? Do you hear Strange noises from him?

He is a western hermanns. I soak him under his CHE and nope no bubbles or noises. Vet said his eyes and nose looked clear and fine

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Glad to hear that. So, what does the vet think is going on?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Karley, it is important to remember that tortoises require heat and uv to metabolize calcium. All the calcium in the world will pass unabsorbed if these are missing.

jamiescorer

5 Year Member
Hi I have a number of a vet in gosforh he has his own tortoises, I've not used him but a friend said he's good, let me know if you need the number

karleyreed

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:
Karley, it is important to remember that tortoises require heat and uv to metabolize calcium. All the calcium in the world will pass unabsorbed if these are missing.

I do have both of these

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
Are you using calcium with or without vitamin D? Is the underside of the shell unusually soft? UV bulbs do not last long at all. When I say "last" I mean the actual UV output. Nothing beats natural UV rays. I am happy I am in Florida. Natural sunshine 363 days a year! (had to take them in twice due to cold)
lol
Good luck!
Scott

karleyreed

5 Year Member
skottip said:
Are you using calcium with or without vitamin D? Is the underside of the shell unusually soft? UV bulbs do not last long at all. When I say "last" I mean the actual UV output. Nothing beats natural UV rays. I am happy I am in Florida. Natural sunshine 363 days a year! (had to take them in twice due to cold)
lol
Good luck!
Scott

With vitamin D the vet just said he was "squidgy" lol he's only 15 month, also, the vet thinks he is a she!! Haha. Unfortunately I live in th north east of England where it's usually cold 363 days of the year. I've only had my UVB light since November.

Status
Not open for further replies.