I think my tort is sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
For the past 2 days all my tort has done is sleep. He has had a few nibbles of some food and that's all. Any suggestions as to what may be wrong?

karleyreed

5 Year Member
His temps haven't changed from usual, nor has his lighting :/

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Greenfield, In.
What r the cool side/ warm side/ basking temps? R u soaking? If all else fails a vet visit to an exotic/reptile vet may be of use. I'm a big *** worry'r so I take NO chances with my Cooper.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Have you soaked your tort to see if it becomes more active after a nice warm soak?
Is he/she having normal bowl movements?

karleyreed

5 Year Member
Bowel movement are normal. Just smaller as he's not really ate. Nothing changed after a soak. Should I try a baby food soak?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You are only talking two days, this isn't drastic.

Please can you measure accurately the temperature under your basking lamp and in the cool end and tell us what it is.

Temperatures indoors can vary simply due to changes in the weather outside, so you cannot rely on previous checks.

arotester

5 Year Member
if your routine is the same and temp humidity are same then it might be the outside (i mean room) temp and humidity might have changed ,if not then something is missing .

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Please can you measure accurately the temperature under your basking lamp and in the cool end and tell us what it is.

Temperatures indoors can vary simply due to changes in the weather outside, so you cannot rely on previous checks.

Yeah, what she said ;):p

karleyreed

5 Year Member
He seems to be picking up, eating a lot more now, still always sleeping though when he's finished eating :/

karleyreed

5 Year Member
Urgent help needed!!! Mike is deteriorating again. He's not drinking when I soak him or put him in his water Dish. He won't walk, does a few steps then just stops and goes to sleep. Not eatin again, I don't know what else to do? There are no reptile vets in my area, will a normal vet be able to treat him??

arotester

5 Year Member
can you tell something more about mike ,
did he poop recently? have the room temps changed lately(bump up the temp anyways) ? how long do you soak him(make it not less than 30 mins everyday)? was the diet right?
if all things were right then you need to find "reptile" vet ASAP , if not available then go to the vet you trust and just give it a try .That's all you could do ?
Also,you said he was eating a lot in your previous post so look into what you did different at that time.Tort need warm temp to digest food so keep the temp up by 3-5 deg cel. (whole enclosure)
Best of luck.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
arotester said:
can you tell something more about mike ,
did he poop recently? have the room temps changed lately(bump up the temp anyways) ? how long do you soak him(make it not less than 30 mins everyday)? was the diet right?
if all things were right then you need to find "reptile" vet ASAP , if not available then go to the vet you trust and just give it a try .That's all you could do ?
Also,you said he was eating a lot in your previous post so look into what you did different at that time.Tort need warm temp to digest food so keep the temp up by 3-5 deg cel. (whole enclosure)
Best of luck.

He pooped and passed urine yesterday when he had a long soak. He ate quite a bit yesterday and seemed more active. Today though, he just seems lifeless! No energy what so ever. I've turned his CHE up to full in order to try and get some more heat. He's In a viv so it holds warmth and humidity quite well. He is currently on a diet of spring mix, I usually alternate everyday as to which other thing I give him. Spring greens, peppers, cucumber, turnip, mushrooms now and then, I've even tried zoo med pellets and a pre alpin mix of dried grasses. I'm going to see how he is the rest of the day and tomorrow and if nothing picks up in going to take him to the vets. Could he just be full and tired? He is only small, around an inch and a half - 2 inches long. I just don't know what else to do :( I don't want him to die I feel like a failure.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Are you definitely checking the temperatures? You've been asked a few times but not mentioned any specifics, so please do check them properly if you've not done so far.

arotester

5 Year Member
karleyreed said:
He pooped and passed urine yesterday when he had a long soak. He ate quite a bit yesterday and seemed more active. Today though, he just seems lifeless! No energy what so ever. I've turned his CHE up to full in order to try and get some more heat. He's In a viv so it holds warmth and humidity quite well. He is currently on a diet of spring mix, I usually alternate everyday as to which other thing I give him. Spring greens, peppers, cucumber, turnip, mushrooms now and then, I've even tried zoo med pellets and a pre alpin mix of dried grasses. I'm going to see how he is the rest of the day and tomorrow and if nothing picks up in going to take him to the vets. Could he just be full and tired? He is only small, around an inch and a half - 2 inches long. I just don't know what else to do :( I don't want him to die I feel like a failure.

well tort need a lot of things to be active, e.g. bright light, optimum temp.Just mere heat won't make them active .
If he is not eating food directly then you should try the baby soaks or add carrot juice to the soak or electrolyte .
About being "full and tired ", he can't be full and tired by sleeping all day there must be something missing,either the habitat or the health.
just don't give up on him,hold on .
Hope he gets well soon ,good luck.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Too much heat can make a tortoise inactive too.

Please use a thermometer, preferably a temperature gun to check temperatures accurately. Both the ambient (cool side) and under the basking lamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.