I shall be getting one!Gr

thegame2388

5 Year Member
Greetings from southern California.

I will be getting a Sulcata or Redfoot faily soon so I'm just browsing these forums for help and advice!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
:) :)Hi! Welcome to TFO! So you have narrowed down your choices to a redfoot or a sulcata, what is it about each that you are liking?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi! What a world of difference the two choices you're making. One will grow to be a giant turtle, the other is smaller and personable. Both are lovable! Make a list of pros and cons on each. That will help you to choose. Let the fun begin:p

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If its your first tortoise I would get a red footed tortoise . They cost a little more but they don't take up as much yard space as a sulcata. They eat a wider range of food . You can feed fruit to them . There are an awesome starter tortoise . It was my first tortoise . Welcome to the forum . Read as much as you can about sulcatas and reds . For a good care sheet follow Tom' s care sheet for the sulcata and tortoise library.com for reds .

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: I shall be getting one!Gr

mike taylor said:
If its your first tortoise I would get a red footed tortoise . They cost a little more but they don't take up as much yard space as a sulcata. They eat a wider range of food . You can feed fruit to them . There are an awesome starter tortoise . It was my first tortoise . Welcome to the forum . Read as much as you can about sulcatas and reds . For a good care sheet follow Tom' s care sheet for the sulcata and tortoise library.com for reds .

I actually disagree. Redfoots are smaller and eat a larger variety, however sulcatas are a tad bit heartier. They don't get ill ad easily as redfoots. (Not counting pryamiding and such shell deformities) Sulcatas are gentle giants and all have (somewhat) similar personalities: loving and social. On the other hand, I think, redfoots tend to be more shy, and timid. But, this is only my opinion. Do plenty of research!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan
I got my first tortoise in August. She's a redfoot and I have had an amazing experience with her! You really can't go wrong either way, though:)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Food for thought....A sulcata grows really fast if kept right. My sulcata babies went from 25 - 34 grams on July 6th to 87 - 155 grams on Dec 1, a touch over 430% in 5 months. The food intake went from a few grass leaves and some dandelion I picked from the yard on the way in the door to a lb of spring mix and grass I cut when I get time every two to three days. And they are still babies. This time next year I will be buying hay bails at the local feed store ( I have 5 sullies and 4 leos ) to suplement their grazing in the back yard. Still, they are awesome animals and I would not give the experience of having and caring for them up for anything. Whatever you decide, be prepared in advance. The set up as hatchlings is not all that different but as they grow their needs change a whole lot!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ
I have 6 different types of torts . All I have to say is they are like Lay's you cannt eat just one you ll. be happy
With your choise
Have fun we all do, they get to be your children ! Happy Torts