I rescued a leopard tortoise today

Status
Not open for further replies.

meagan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone,
I was over at a friends house tonight and saw that they had a leopard tortoise, but his living conditions were horrible. No hide or plants, only a water dish (very dry) and some wood chips on the bottom. His shell looks very dry and he doesn't come out very much. He wasn't getting soaked or his enclosure sprayed. They didn't even have a UV light at all. They were feeding him spring mix in the morning with nothing else.(Not even calcium) I was so upset by this I asked if I would be able to buy this tortoise off them and they said they bought it and realized it was a boring pet and too much work so yes I could. So I bought this tortoise and brought it home, gave him a good soak and some lettuce and put him in a temporary enclosure until I can get a big one set up for him tomorrow. I didn't want to put it with flash because I think this tortoise may need some extra care for awhile. I need to make sure it eats! Any suggestions about the very dry shell? Do you think this tortoise has a chance. I just wanted him to have a second chance.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Keep soaking and feed a proper diet and get a uvb light and make sure the temps are where they should be. Also as a rule u want to keep them seperate until its been checked for parasites and such. Good job on the rescue!!

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Wow, good save! Post a photo whenever you can, so we can see what's going on with the shell.

meagan

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I am going to get a uvb light before work in the morning so he can have it when he wakes up. He is really cute and very round, has pyramiding but its not too bad. Apparently it was hatched in june 2011 but doesn't look very big. Flash is only three months older and there is quite a difference.

Here is a picture I took after his soak.

Attachments

• PB140648.JPG
    PB140648.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 152
  • PB140646.JPG
    PB140646.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 134
  • PB140647.JPG
    PB140647.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 114

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Poor thing. Sometimes when their growth is stunted it's because they have MBD from the lack of UV, calcium, etc. I see some brown spots on the front of his shell; are those the flaky spots you're talking about, or is it just dirt?

meagan

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
shellysmom said:
Poor thing. Sometimes when their growth is stunted it's because they have MBD from the lack of UV, calcium, etc. I see some brown spots on the front of his shell; are those the flaky spots you're talking about, or is it just dirt?

yes it is mostly around the bottom of the shell, it think being in an enclosure with right humidity and heat it will be okay.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
he's got a lot of light coloring which is pretty unique. Great of you to take him. I think he'll come around fast with the right care and attention and be a great tort friend for Flash. :D

meagan

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Greg T said:
he's got a lot of light coloring which is pretty unique. Great of you to take him. I think he'll come around fast with the right care and attention and be a great tort friend for Flash. :D

I did notice he has the same light colouring as Flash and he actually ate a lot of mazuri and greens this morning and was drinking quite a bit of water in his soak. I think he will be okay, I just have to keep an eye on him.

Kate

5 Year Member
Great of you to do that! I hate how especially with reptiles, people treat them like curio cabinet decorations and don't give them the proper care!! UGH!!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Good for you! And somehow you pulled it off!
He is eating an drinking already? That is a really good sign.

Looks like some of his shell coloring could be due to poor nutrition, and he may need a bit of a beak trim.
What a wonderful thing you did. I bet he will do very well.

Laura Currado

5 Year Member
Oakland County, MI
I love that you "bought" a rescue. No judgment though...it's how we ended up with our first Hermanns. Advertised as a Sulcata on CraigsList, she too wasn't treated properly. Super friendly (her "owners" were three young girls), but kept in a garage aquarium on dry aspen shavings with utility lights for warmth. Worst, I think, was they were feeding her primarily a diet made for "turtles, tortoises, iguanas, and other fruit eating reptiles"! Because all those animals are exactly alike!
Also pyramided, but like yours, amazing turn-around. Now eats anything we give her, and within a few weeks on a proper diet and with proper humidity, she was able to support her own weight. It's sad when you see such amazing animals in bad shape, but they're resilient.

meagan

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Already he is doing much better, eating tons of greens and mazuri. He loves lying in his warm soaks and just drinks a lot of water and also drinking from the water dish in his enclosure. He is doing better but I hope he can gain some weight though. It is 3 months younger than Flash who weighs 893 grams and he weighs 445 grams. Im not quite sure how much he is supposed to weigh but I think its supposed to be more than that but it has gained 3 grams since i got him on wednesday.

filbertjonathan

5 Year Member
meagan said:
I am going to get a uvb light before work in the morning so he can have it when he wakes up. He is really cute and very round, has pyramiding but its not too bad. Apparently it was hatched in june 2011 but doesn't look very big. Flash is only three months older and there is quite a difference.

WOWWWWW..... the past owner didn't know tortoise well i think so they didn't treat this beautiful torto correctly.
I like the pattern,, he become a high white patdalis.. In my country the price will be so high..

How to make my pardalis become high white? Any suggestion?

meagan

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
filbertjonathan said:
meagan said:

WOWWWWW..... the past owner didn't know tortoise well i think so they didn't treat this beautiful torto correctly.
I like the pattern,, he become a high white patdalis.. In my country the price will be so high..

How to make my pardalis become high white? Any suggestion?

I'm not sure that mine are high whites, I have heard them be called blonde but i think when they get older more black will come in and they wont look so light but im not too sure. I know that when I have seen high whites they are a white colour not the yellowish colour.

Not sure if this is correct, just what ive heard and seen. If anyone knows please share...

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
From all I've seen so far it's common for leopards to go through a "white" phase as they grow, and as you say black will come in later.

Mine is just getting the white now. It seems what some people call "high white" also have really light skin. Almost albino looking.

meagan

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Tortus said:
From all I've seen so far it's common for leopards to go through a "white" phase as they grow, and as you say black will come in later.

Mine is just getting the white now. It seems what some people call "high white" also have really light skin. Almost albino looking.

yes a lot of people ask me if mine are high whites but I have to tell them no they are actually just growing and are a yellow not white lol

Status
Not open for further replies.