I rescued a leopard tortoise today HELP

Pipes24

Location (City and/or State)
North east England
Hi everybody I'm in the UK today I was at my husbands aunties house and she had a leopard tortoise who was in one hell of a mess he has been living outside with no shelter in all weather conditions no food oe water he was caked in dry hard mud and his shell looks pointy.

I passed a comment on me by no means being an expert buy that I was pretty sure he needed an inside enclosure with heat to which she replied give me £120 NOW and you can take it

So me being me a huge animal lover I did just that I payed the money and took him home I have no idea how to care for him

I have the time the money and the patients to learn and care for him we are off to our vets on Wednesday and our local reptile shop tomorrow to get what is needed but any help or comments on his well being and weather here is male or female or any care tips would be greatly appreciated

I am worried about the shape of his shell and I gave him a soak today in some tepid water as advised by emergency telephone vet and he pooped 6 times is this normal?

Thank you for. Your time

20160828_203748.jpg 20160828_211055.jpg 20160828_211114.jpg 20160828_211140_002.jpg 20160828_211055.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, they often poop in the soak water.

You're correct in assuming the tortoise needs a heated shelter for inclement weather. I'm glad you were able to afford to take him off Auntie's hands. We have a couple of good care sheets you can read to learn more about leopard tortoise care (and pyramiding - bumpy shell - is caused by the tortoise living in conditions that were too dry during his first couple years out of the egg).

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/leopard-tortoise-care-sheet.63792/

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/

The anal scutes point straight back like a female, however, the cloaca is far from the body, like a male. Maybe this tortoise needs a bit more size to it before we can say for sure. But let's send a shout-out to @Neal . He's a leopard person.

Pipes24

North east England
Thank you very much what a wonderful forum every body is so helpful I'll have a look through the sheets you have provided thanks again

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Once you get your reading done and get her (my guess is female. But that could change). The beak needs a trimming. You can feed her on a flat ruff rock or piece of time and see if that will file it down enough. For the care it seems she had gotten, she's not in too bad looking shape. Glad you will give her a better more appropriate home.

Pipes24

North east England
She is 10inches long at the moment she's lovely Wellington I can't wait until she's feels a bit better she's very lethargic

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
It's a little weird to sex this one. I would say female with a long tail. But like above mentioned def shows traits of both. 10 inch should be big enough but some are just harder to sex. Maybe others can put there two cents. Either way great looking tortoise !

Kyle

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
This is my 2 and a half year old "confirmed male" his tail is much longer and his anal scutes look much different ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472424632.139274.jpg

Pipes24

North east England
Thanks everyone how would I be able to get a round about age I was told 8 years old what do you all think ?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
You won't be able to get an age, I'm still not sure this tort is 8 years old. I have a year and a half old that is almost 9". They all grow at different rates so unless you know a date it's very difficult to tell.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Could very well be 8 years. I have a female that at 7 years was about that size. By 8 years shhe had a growth spurt, and is over 13 inches now. Very pretty tortoise anyway. Ask all the questions you come up with. Oh yeah, they can get very large. 20 to 30 pounds is about average I think.

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
Definitely looks female to me; scutes are pretty textbook female and a male at that size would generally have a much larger tail than that.

The shell growth is quite irregular due to the previous care, but it doesn't look too severe that it won't be able to have a good life. Make sure to keep it plenty warm and hydrated and offer it good foods as have been suggested in links here. Be patient with new foods offered - if they have been used to eating only one or two things, it can take a little effort to get them eating a better variety. Good luck.