I need opinions...

M

Maggie Cummings

Now ya'll know I have opinions to spare. But this time I'm worried, seriously. I have had gritty urates, (well, Bob actually, not me), but nothing like this thing I found in Queenie's water dish this morning. She's in a 6'X3' tort table in Bob's shed. Ambient temp 80 to 85. Nights fall to 70. She has a fresh UVB light (100 degrees under the light) and a 125 watt CHE. She has an 8 inch plastic plant pot to soak and drink out of. She gets fresh water daily dammit. Plus 3 times a week I bring her in the house to soak for a bit so I can trim at her beak. I use a toenail clipper and a fingernail file.
But I digress...She has daily water. She gets good food...what the hell is this thing and what do I do now??? Is it a kidney stone? A giant urate ball? A calcified egg? Does she need a Vet? She's been kinda off her food, but I thought it was because she wanted more pumpkin...So??? What's the diagnosis and prognosis? What did I do wrong?IMG_3976.JPG IMG_3977.JPG IMG_3982.JPG IMG_3984.JPG

Ciri

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson
I don't think it's a calcified egg - there's no sign of a yoke. I'm thinking perhaps bladder stone? I've never seen anything quite like this myself.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry I can't help much, I would agree with Yvonne though. Just wondering, as ALDABRAMAN said, thankfully she passed it, wondering if you have noticed any change in her since she passed it and because she did pass it, is it most likely over or most likely she would have more?

M

Maggie Cummings

I'm thinking that the correct thing to do is go to the Vet Monday. Damn, minimum visit is $68, then throw $100 for x-rays. Crap, I feel I have to do it. One of the things I always say is" if your kid was that sick, would you take it to the doctor? So I guess it's coming back to kick me in the ***, I'll stick to my own advice and take her. Dr Mader says there could be smaller ones. Can't take the chance.

Barb, I see no change in her. She didn't eat her breakfast, but did eat a hunk of pumpkin later. Her cloaca looks fine, and I feel nothing when I put my little finger up there...

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Keep us posted, I hope she feels better soon and that there is nothing major going on. I hope your vet takes payments :) I just sent a partial payment to my vet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Good luck Maggie at the vets. I sure hope there is nothing major. I also like your kind of thinking, that's the same way I feel. I'm not into going to the vet for no reason, check ups when nothing seems wrong, but, if there is something that may be wrong, then no matter the cost, I'm going. Well, the animal is going.:D Be sure to let us know what's up. Be thankfull you have a much cheaper vet office visit. Here it's 95.00 or more to walk in the door with an exotic.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Good luck with this Maggie. Sure hope it works out ok. Hope you will keep us updated on what the vet finds. It's always scary when you don't know what's wrong.