I just got my Sulcata and his name is Pancake

kewp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fullerton, CA
I want to make sure the store set me right. I bought a 2 feet by 2 feet enclosure for while he is little, a Zoo Med T5 H0 UV lamp, with a 5.0 Reptisun bulb, a reptitherm u.t.h heater, and cypress mulch. I have a clamp on heater with a 50 watt bulb, but they said that it would be too much and cook him. Is that adequate? Do I need another UV light or should I also use that heat bulb with the pad?

He said leafy greens for food with fruit once or twice a week. Also to soak him every 3 days and sprinkle his food with calcium every 3 days. The reason I'm questioning is that he also said they do not need a water bowl which I'm sure I read on these forums that they do. I just want to make sure I take the best care of the little dude so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

11187418_10205370447593214_1194266716_o.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The 2x2 is too small. Too hard to give him a big enough space to get away from the basking temps of 95-100.
No heat pad unless it's a kane pig blanket which yours isn't. Don't use any coil type bulbs. Also, read Toms threads below in my post for the proper housing, temps and humidity

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Kewp - He's gorgeous! I'm quite new to tortoise keeping and this is a brilliant place to come to for advice - even if it's not always what you want to hear! Just bear in mind that pet shops/stores are in the business for profit whereas all the experienced people on TTF are here for the love of torts and that alone. So, as long as you read the care sheets for your tort and follow all advice as best you can then lovely little Pancake should be happy and healthy for years.

It's great that you're double checking what the store told you and I think you're right to question the water bowl - a lot of experienced people on here suggest shallow terracotta plant saucers sunk into substrate - you don't want anything too deep with steep sides that he could drown in, but there are plenty of experts who will answer all your questions soon. I'm just a novice but I've learnt so much from the Forum - I guess you could say it has 'tortoise' well
All good wishes to you and Pancake.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello and thanks for posting pictures of Pancake the Sulcata.
He's gorgeous.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. Atleast they got a couple thing right. He should have water, and fruit is rarely if ever. Bigger enclosure is needed. Hear mats overheat. No coil bulbs. Read the care guides and ask any questions you have. He is very cute. Glad you're here.

kewp

5 Year Member
Fullerton, CA
Thanks for all the advice. I know I will need to upgrade the enclosure soon. That is first on my list. He did eat for the first time this morning. He seems to like cabbage.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Cabbage contains goitrogens which cause problems with the thyroid and can lead to kidney and liver problems.
It's great he's eating, but cut out the cabbage, I'm afraid.

kewp

5 Year Member
Fullerton, CA
Yikes. Ok. That was on the care sheet list I was given. Thank you.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
The care sheets here are the best with up to date info so use the one for sulcatas to get your food list. There's also a great website called The Tortoise Table ( www.thetortoisetable.org.uk) with pics which will help you identify plants and weeds that are recommended and safe. I'm sure you'll find lots of other options instead of cabbage. I can't go anywhere these days without checking out the dandelions for my leopard!

Killerrookie

Hey welcome to the forums!! I see you have a Pancake tortoise.... Oh...ummm.. I mean a Sulcata tortoises haha sorry. Anyways I'm just kidding, welcome to TFO and hope you enjoy your stay!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
When you know which foods are recommended for your species it is a great help in identifying them. Unfortunately I don't have green fingers - even the dandies I tried to grow for winter died:rolleyes:

Another app called the Garden Compass was recommended to me recently too - you can send it photos of plants and it will ID them for you. I haven't tried it yet but maybe worth checking it out.

kewp

5 Year Member
Fullerton, CA
Had my first cat/ tortoise encounter. The cat was couldn't care less, the tortoise kept trying to bite her nose.
11182058_10205391484679128_2500391169405451893_n.jpg