I hate to ask but have to.

SANDYSFROGS

Location (City and/or State)
Lower Alabama
When Louie's people claimed him they told me that they didn't have a warm house for him to get into during lower temperatures at night. They said he is enclosed in a block enclosure with a hole that he gets into. My question is will he be ok if there is a freeze warning tonight?

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
IF it is not heated it will not be warm enough for him.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Definitely not. A Sulcata comes from Africa - a part where temperatures don't get close to freezing. If there is a cold snap they head for a burrow where the temperature will be toasty more like 80 than 35. It is far too cold for any tortoise to be outside without heating.

SANDYSFROGS

Lower Alabama
Definitely not. A Sulcata comes from Africa - a part where temperatures don't get close to freezing. If there is a cold snap they head for a burrow where the temperature will be toasty more like 80 than 35. It is far too cold for any tortoise to be outside without heating.
I don't know what to do. My daughter is going to go by their house and offer to house him while it's cold tonight but I'm pretty sure that they won't allow me to.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If you are not in control of the situation there is nothing you can do. He is a big old tortoise and they have got him through many winters; they haven't let him freeze in the past.

You rescued this tort and returned him to his home, but you cannot control how they choose to care for him unfortunately. Please don't beat yourself up or feel guilty. Hopefully they are doing the right thing :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You've done what you could. I'm afraid any further contact you have will not be well accepted, and probably taken as meddling. You should stay out of it now.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry, I have to agree with all of the above.
However, you could call animal control and ask if they have any rules for tortoises being left out in the freezing cold with no heat. In my area, dogs are not allowed to be left outside in frigid temps even if they have a dog house.
If there is some kind of law you could either let the owners know of this law or turn them in.