I got a package today... Wanna see what was in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Remember this guy???

Concentric WHITE Diamond Back Terrapin

Guess who he belongs to now?!?! :rolleyes:

KristinasPictures3976.jpg

KristinasPictures3974.jpg

KristinasPictures3973.jpg

We built him an above tank basking area, so that he can utilize the full volume of the tank for water space. I will get some full tank shots tonight after dark, when I can do it without a glare, lol.

KristinasPictures3982.jpg

KristinasPictures3984.jpg

KristinasPictures3986.jpg

But wait... I'm not finished :D

Remember THIS guy??

Lil' "RUNT" Cherryhead

That little Black-cherry video..

Hee hee hee...

KristinasPictures3980.jpg

You know how Terry always says his babies eat RIGHT out of the box???

He isn't exaggerating. They really do. I took these pics about ten minutes after opening the box...

KristinasPictures3969.jpg

KristinasPictures3971.jpg

Have to say... I was a purt-ty darn happy girl this morning when I opened that box :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Like the basking area for the DBT. Of course you already know, they are both beautiful animals.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Wait til Kristina gets my bill for the little 'black-cherry'
36_12_1.gif

Glad you're the "happy-girl"...

NERD

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
HA! I am sure I can handle what ever you throw at me, Terry. Eventually, anyway :D LOL!!!

Very, very happy, and you know it ;)

Thanks everybody!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I take it you got both of them from Terry? Wow they're beautiful. We want to see pictures now of the Cherryheads enclosure. :D

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Yup, I did get them both from Terry :)

The baby's set up is a very basic set up, consisting of a large sweater box, slightly elevated on one end. On the higher end is damp Mosser Lee moss for burying in, and on the lower end water pools. I just have white paper towels on the rest, and small slate tile to feed on. Terry uses this set up for his babies, so I copied it :D

I'll get him set up in a terrarium in the future.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Soo exciting! Two new babies- aren't you lucky :D
I love the basking area you created for the DBT!
Do they have names yet?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Nope, no names yet. I am starting to slack off on the names as I get more, lol. They do at least all have nick-names. The little Greek we call either "Snack Bite" or "Pizza Roll," lol, because she is so tiny and I take her with me if we go any where over night. I take her whole enclosure and light, but she travels in a little GladWare snack container :) I'll take little Black Cherry with me too when I go to my grandparents overnight tomorrow. The adult torts have plenty of food items in their pens, but I don't want the babies to skip a meal.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Congrats! I know EXACTLY how you feel....opening that box Kristina. Your new additions are both beautiful.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Yes, they very much are. He has a split scute, (she? Most tortoises with split scutes seem to be female, but only time will tell...) and also, look at the color. Most baby Redfoots are born with almost the entire center of the scute yellow - that is what creates the yellow points on the carapace of an adult Redfoot. This little guy/gal has only a tiny yellow slash in the center of each scute. Imagine how black this kid will be as an adult! Almost solid.

This is another one of Terry's babies, for comparison

SUSANC.jpg

That baby grew to look like this -

05BEAUTY.jpg

There is no red on the body, none on the back legs, and only the "hook" scales on the front legs are red - just one tiny red scale on each leg. The head only has two tiny red dots, that I have a feeling they will fade with age.

This little guy probably never would have survived in the wild. He is smaller than "normal" hatchlings, and Terry had to help him out of the egg. That is probably why we don't see this coloration in wild tortoises. They simply are too small/weak to make it out of the egg/nest. I love that he is special and unusual, and the color to me is awesome. When Terry first posted him, I just had to have him!

I can't wait to see what he will look like, in a year...

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
GAH! I didn't even know that little black guy was for sale... Love how dark he is. If I'd known I might have tried to snatch him/her up as well...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I pinned Terry down the day he posted about him the first time :) Sorry.... ;) He wasn't ever actually posted for sale.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
kyryah said:
Yes, they very much are. He has a split scute, (she? Most tortoises with split scutes seem to be female, but only time will tell...) and also, look at the color. Most baby Redfoots are born with almost the entire center of the scute yellow - that is what creates the yellow points on the carapace of an adult Redfoot. This little guy/gal has only a tiny yellow slash in the center of each scute. Imagine how black this kid will be as an adult! Almost solid.

This is another one of Terry's babies, for comparison

SUSANC.jpg

That baby grew to look like this -

05BEAUTY.jpg

There is no red on the body, none on the back legs, and only the "hook" scales on the front legs are red - just one tiny red scale on each leg. The head only has two tiny red dots, that I have a feeling they will fade with age.

This little guy probably never would have survived in the wild. He is smaller than "normal" hatchlings, and Terry had to help him out of the egg. That is probably why we don't see this coloration in wild tortoises. They simply are too small/weak to make it out of the egg/nest. I love that he is special and unusual, and the color to me is awesome. When Terry first posted him, I just had to have him!

I can't wait to see what he will look like, in a year...

It's true I did help little 'black-cherry' out of the egg.. however the #4 baby didn't grow up to be that one - sorry - he left at about 8 weeks old and haven't seen him since.

This one -

DSC065033.jpg

Looked like this.. in 18 months.

1Butter.jpg

So there is a good chance that 'black-cherry' will be solid black!

Terry K

Status
Not open for further replies.