i found a turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

DemonDrug95

5 Year Member
recently i found a cute black marsh turtle...so...does anyone know that how long they lived(searched in the internet..useless)and hows the setup look like..i knew the turtle was a carnivore though..a little bit of plant matter...and needs clean water :)

if any of u doesnt know how a marsh turtle look like..u can look at this photo :)

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/wo...les_-_Siebenrockiella_crassicollis/index.html

the picture is not mine :)

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
I am sure some one can help you with this, but unfortunately its not a turtle i am familiar with

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Crassicollis? An Asian species related to the RES.

Since it is an aquatic species related to the RES, you can give him the standard set up. Tank with a floating dock and a submerged cave. I recommend using river rock gravel found at the local lowz type store. $5 for 20lbs and use enough to cover the floor. The gravel is too big to be eaten and real easy to vaccuum. Pond plants (submerged and floaters) help give a sense of nature as well as some fish. Minnows and Earthworms for calcium and protein. Reptomin sticks are a great treat and can be a staple food. They have raised RES on it exclusively.

Filtration- a muck filter is what you want. Turtles can make a septic tank out of an aquarium in no time. Recommend canister filters or fountain filters like the pond~master 190.

Lighting- Like Torts, UVB is necessary to keep shells hard like steel. Repti~sun 10.0 to penetrate deep in the water or incandescent equivalents.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
They actually aren't that closely related to Red ear sliders (different family). :)
They aren't good swimmers so fairly shallow water is best. With plenty of rocks or logs to help them to the surface. They like the water warm, but that shouldn't be a problem in Malaysia.
They aren't a long lived turtle in the wild and an even shorter lived turtle in captivity. 25 to 30 in the wild and about 15 in captivity. Unless you have CB animals and than you might get to the 25 to 30 years.

Danny

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Really? I went off the article posted by the bristol zoo .org

See if you can contact your Zoo about this species.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
webskipper said:
Really? I went off the article posted by the bristol zoo .org

See if you can contact your Zoo about this species.

Maybe they meant fairly common, like the RES???

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Search for Siebenrockiella crassicollis

Asian Turtle.org has a good article on them mentioning they do well in ponds and the Asian Turtle Network.org put them in the Vulnerable in 2006. They are mostly collected for food.

I believe the rest of the effort to collect information is up to DemonDrug95

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
If you found it and its native,, shouldn't you release it? is it legal to take a wild animal and keep it where you live?
It isn't here.. so just wondering..

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Laura said:
If you found it and its native,, shouldn't you release it? is it legal to take a wild animal and keep it where you live?

It cannot be released, it is an Asian turtle and may try to breed with North American species.

Thats like when people release their RES in Canada. The RES do cross breed with the locals.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
webskipper said:
Laura said:

It cannot be released, it is an Asian turtle and may try to breed with North American species.

Thats like when people release their RES in Canada. The RES do cross breed with the locals.

Just FYI, Laura is an AC officer. She knows our rules, however the OP is in Malaysia.

M

Maggie Cummings

AC...Animal Control...OP... Original Post or Poster...see I'm smarter then you think!!!:p

Status
Not open for further replies.