I feel bad for wanting to re home my tortoises.

Esspressodepresso

Location (City and/or State)
Europ
I have 2 tortoise that kind of was like a last gift from my dad. It was the last trip we went together before he got sick. When he died i lost it, i forgot to clean the fish tank no fish died but it go so dirty and poluted. And its been the samme with the tortoises terrarium. I diddent realy notice them at first i gave them food and whater before bed. But i stoped looking at them, and hand feeding them. I forgot to soak them, change light bulbs. One day i noticed one had problems walking. And thats when it hit me what had happend. I feel sad looking at the tortoises, i got no energy to care for them.
Somtimes i dont want to go in the samme room their in. I had them out doors today, and I dident feel happy. I just feelt more sad and depressed.
Idont want to give them away, but I feel like if I dont i will cause them more harm.
I feel empty. I was hopeing sombody couldt tell im doing the right thing, rehoming them even thouh im going to cry for them and miss them. Letting them go even if it is with some of my memories with my dad.
I have been thinking about what to wirte for over a month, i did it today cause today is a sunny day.
I might not reply, but I will read it if any body comments.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think you are doing the right thing by rehoming them. They will suffer and die and that will really make you feel even worse. If you don't enjoy them, and don't really want to attend to them, there is no reason to keep them.
Do right by them and find them a good home ASAP.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I'm very sorry for you dad. You are in grief and and it's normal that you don't feel much joy and have no energy to care for someone else.

Rehoming them is the right thing - knowing that they thrive and happy will make you feel better later. This will help you and them now. You can ask their new keeper if you can take one back when you are ready.

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
I'm so sorry for your loss.

How about an alternative as they say never make big decisions after big events.

See if you can find a temporary caretaker for them. A friend or family member can take them and give you some time to heal yourself. Please also talk to someone whether it is a friend, a neighbour, your doctor or a priest. Talk to someone, join a grief group even if it is just on FB or something. You are not alone and don't feel bad about feeling bad.

Big hugs

brodie7838

Fort Collins, CO
I feel this pain so much and I'm very sorry you're experiencing this. I once re-homed a loved pet when I was too depressed to provide proper care. I beat myself up for it hard but now the sadness and grief is greatly outweighed by the reassurance that they went someplace better so I could also get someplace better. You are important and you definitely should not feel bad. It's ok to remove loads and focus on you.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
If you find a good home or two for them you really shouldn't feel bad. What would be nice though is if the people can stay close to you because you evidently care. Acknowledging you need to rehome isn't a bad thing. You are caring enough about the animal to make sure it gets proper care in a good home. That is exactly what you should do.😊

Reactions: Ink

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
You have my condolences. Losing a loved takes a tole on the mind. Don't be too hard on yourself.

There are lots of great people on here who can help you.