I could use some Cherryhead advice

Redfoot841

I could use some advice from some of you experienced redfoot breeders. I have an adult reverse trio of Cherryhead Redfoots that I keep in an outdoor pen that is approximately 16'x 13'. My female is approx. 10" SCL and my larger male is a little bigger. I have witnessed both males breed with my female this summer on numerous occasions. I first witnessed copulation in late June and it has continued through July and August. I removed my younger male a few weeks ago because I saw some aggression from the larger male and I wanted to give the female a break. She feels like she has put on significant weight and I believe she is gravid.

The soil in the pen is kind of sandy so I poured several bags of topsoil in all of the corners. I also positioned palm fronds for privacy. I've seen very little "nesting" type behavior from her. She doesn't seem to be interested in digging but will sometimes sit in holes that I dig out for her. She dug one hole under her house and spends a lot of time under there but I think it's more to get away from the male.

She has been eating well all summer but her appetite has slowed down a little over the last couple days. She is still eating but not like she usually does. I'm starting to get a bit concerned about her becoming egg bound. Most of my experience is with snakes and lizards so I would really appreciate some advice from some of you experienced tortoise breeders.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Well how long have they been in this enclosure? Once they hit a routine they will stick with it. If they're relatively new to this enclosure it may take a bit for them to adjust. Specifically the female. The thing with Redfoots is they don't really choose corners at all. They will dig and lay in any location they like. Definitely won't be in the holes you have dug for her. Mine tend to prefer more loose soil than sandy soil. I'd mix some peat moss and just leave her alone. You must keep a good eye on her though, they are sneakers at laying. I have missed numerous clutches.but those are from experienced seasoned layers.first time layers typically take longer as they are still figuring things out. Moving them around also throws them off too. They have to feel secure in there surroundings where they're at. So get them in a routine of the same indoor pen and outdoor pen year after year.

Redfoot841

Thanks for your response. They've been in this pen for a couple years. I use a garden fork to loosen up the mounds of top soil that I put in the corners and I sprayed a couple of them with water to give her a choice between moist or dry soil. I have been weighing her every couple days to make sure I didn't miss her laying. I'll try the peat moss as well.
My main concern is that her appetite seems to have decreased over the last couple days.

Redfoot841

By the way, I live in Central FL and we've had plenty of rain during the last month.