I am a new member and need help!

Scarfoot05

Hi! My name is Jenny and I am new to this thread. I live in AZ and I have a female desert tortoise whom I've had for 11 years. I got her when she was 6 months old. My question is she has not woken up out of hibernation yet. I have checked on her weekly and she is still alive. She has been hibernating now for 6 months now. Way too long. I plan on waking her up tomorrow. My plan is to put her in the grass in the sun for awhile and once she starts to wake I'll put her in a warm bath to drink. Has anyone had a tortoise that has hibernated this long? Why would she not wake up sooner? Im worried about her. The weather has been warm one week and then we had a cold front, but this week it's been hot. So I thought she would of came outta her cave by now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I would get her up and do just what you've outlined above.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't have any that hibernates, but a couple members had Box Turtles not wake up when they normally do. I believe they too had to wake them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! My name is Jenny and I am new to this thread. I live in AZ and I have a female desert tortoise whom I've had for 11 years. I got her when she was 6 months old. My question is she has not woken up out of hibernation yet. I have checked on her weekly and she is still alive. She has been hibernating now for 6 months now. Way too long. I plan on waking her up tomorrow. My plan is to put her in the grass in the sun for awhile and once she starts to wake I'll put her in a warm bath to drink. Has anyone had a tortoise that has hibernated this long? Why would she not wake up sooner? Im worried about her. The weather has been warm one week and then we had a cold front, but this week it's been hot. So I thought she would of came outta her cave by now.

I can only speculate without knowing the details of your situation, but the reason this usually happens is because hibernating them outside in an above ground enclosure doesn't work in your climate, or mine because of inconsistent and extreme temperatures all winter long. So many of them die this way…

If your tortoise survives, I strongly recommend you hibernate it next year in a more temperature control area inside. I use a fridge. This keeps the temperature correct and stable regardless of our winter hot spells or cold fronts. When I wake them up in spring, I have temperature controlled night boxes to level out the temperature extremes, or I use an indoor enclosure for night and cols spring days and an outdoor enclosure during fair weather. In late spring, summer and early fall, they can just live outside with a burrow to escape the scorching mid day summer sun.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi Jenny
Two of mine are up and eating the third one has come out 2-3 times to eat and goes back to sleep for a day or two .
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1495592019.715850.jpg