I’m new to the Forum.

Joestank

Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia
Hello I’m Joe and I have a Sulcata hatchling. He came out of his egg on May 8, 2020. Meet Koopa. Any good tips feel free to sling it my way. Thanks love reading all the good info from everyone.

FD028C63-6D69-489D-8E07-B74846C92303.jpeg69275C2F-3CEC-4DB5-AD02-016DBD1C3B1A.jpeg

Herman_WA

Washington
Welcome to the forum! I don't have any experience with this species so I'll leave the advice up to the experts.
Have fun with your tortoise!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Welcome to TFO

This thread was put together by one of our Sulcata experts @Tom who is working hard to correct the outdated information out on the internet and in books and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Give it a read as I think you will find it helpful

Ask lots of questions after you have read it. We are here to help :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello I’m Joe and I have a Sulcata hatchling. He came out of his egg on May 8, 2020. Meet Koopa. Any good tips feel free to sling it my way. Thanks love reading all the good info from everyone.
Hi Joe. Welcome!

Unless humidity in that room is 80-100% all the time and the room never dips below 80 degrees, your enclosure isn't going to work well. Open tops in a normal room make it impossible to maintain the correct conditions. Large open topped tables are good for adults of temperate species, but not for your sulcata.

Read that care sheet from JoesMum for more info. Questions are welcome. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Joe, and welcome to the Forum!

Joestank

Philadelphia
Hi Joe. Welcome!

Unless humidity in that room is 80-100% all the time and the room never dips below 80 degrees, your enclosure isn't going to work well. Open tops in a normal room make it impossible to maintain the correct conditions. Large open topped tables are good for adults of temperate species, but not for your sulcata.

Read that care sheet from JoesMum for more info. Questions are welcome. :)

Thanks for you welcome and insight. During his “12 hours” the basking area is 93-97 F. Humidity is 90% first couple hours then slowly comes down to about 70s. Lowest I’ve seen was in the 50s and that was my fault. I soak the inside of his hide a few hours before bed and he sleeps in it at night. Daily soaks. Though he does poop in his water dish first thing in the morning when I change the water. Lol. I swear he waits for me to do it too. I own a bunch of Hibiscus so he gets that daily and I have access to grass seeds so I plant new grass with each substrate change. I give calcium 2 times a week and multi vitamin 1-2 times a week and a mazuri pellet or two daily. He doesn’t always eat them even if I soak it. I use spring water for everything. He’s our family’s best buddy since we got him in may.