Hypo compatibility in redfoots.

TC Tortoise Camp

Location (City and/or State)
Stuart
I have been getting some mixed answers about the compatibility of hypo redfoots from different lines. There is the Joe Terry line of hypos that I believe were imported and produced by Tortoise Cove a while back. There are also Hypos coming from a farm raised facility in Venezuela. I have been told that the two hypo genes are not compatible and if bred together they would just produce normal looking hatchlings that are double het for both hypo genes. Has anyone had any experience breeding the two lines together?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't have RF and of course don't breed them. However, it does seem that Jeff, of Tortoise Cove, who unfortunately no longer participates on the forum, has said that a few times in the past.
You might be able to search for some of his old threads and see if you can find what he has to say about it. He knew his stuff and had some of the most beautiful RF.

TC Tortoise Camp

Stuart
I don't have RF and of course don't breed them. However, it does seem that Jeff, of Tortoise Cove, who unfortunately no longer participates on the forum, has said that a few times in the past.
You might be able to search for some of his old threads and see if you can find what he has to say about it. He knew his stuff and had some of the most beautiful RF.
Yes. I recently acquired a female produced by Jeff in 2016. I have searched the threads and haven't found anything where someone has bread the two different hypos together and what the result was.

zovick

10 Year Member!
How about Carl May? Maybe he would have some information on this and would be an unbiased third party. @cdmay Can you possibly shed any light on this question?