"Hypo" redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=135&de=977034

Its sad, how people will scam for things now-a-days. $225 for a hypo that just suddenly came to be in a clutch of normals? I would think that would make just the genetics of the animal extremely valuable, since it wouldn't be related (I'm assuming the parents are normal, because otherwise the seller would have mentioned the clutch-mates are het) to any other hypos; and even a het hypo isn't that cheap....
Pretty sure the seller is talking about the tort on the upper right...Which is certainly not a hypo.
Just another reason to watch out people...There are a lot of low-lifes out there that will lie to make a quick buck of off innocent people :(.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
<heh> read my A.M. post. Yup ... I even wrote the guy .. it went something like this ...Saw your ad on King Snake ....for the Hypo Redfoot. I just wanted to let you know that animal is not a Hypo ....it's simply a lighter color RF that WILL darken as it matures. Be careful listing it as such , as I'm sure we all want to maintain a high reputation within the Herp industry. **** over at ***** produces light colored RF's such as yours and calls them

"golden" redfoots ... but again ALL will and have darkened up with some very disappointed customers. The Hypo gene is a recessive gene and it takes two Adult Hypos to produce a visual hypo . You would never have a mixed clutch of tortoises if it were true hypo , it just doesn't happen. The closest you would come if you had a " real " adult Hypo bred with a Norm ,it would be "Het" for hypo and normal looking like any other RF , but WILL be carrying the gene for hypo .

Just thought I'd give ya a heads up ...

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Ah thanks, you saved me the time for writing to him :). Glad someone else noticed....I hope it WAS just an innocent mistake of his, but I have my doubts...That "petlandreptiles" place, I commonly see ads like this from. They don't seem very "professional".
Your wording was better then what I would've said :). I was trying to work out a way to tell him without sounding rather insulting.

Off-topic here though, I know about how the hypo gene is recessive in all, and it will almost NEVER happen, but wouldn't the first hypo have had to come out of a clutch of "normals"? It had to come from somewhere, right?

surie_the_tortoise

5 Year Member
findlay,ohio
hard to not think he just trying to rip someone off. shows its not a love of animals but just trying to make a buck

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
surie_the_tortoise said:
hard to not think he just trying to rip someone off. shows its not a love of animals but just trying to make a buck

I'd love to give him the benefit of the doubt, but innocence in things like this is just few and far between now-a-days.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
RedfootsRule said:
Ah thanks, you saved me the time for writing to him :). Glad someone else noticed....I hope it WAS just an innocent mistake of his, but I have my doubts...That "petlandreptiles" place, I commonly see ads like this from. They don't seem very "professional".
Your wording was better then what I would've said :). I was trying to work out a way to tell him without sounding rather insulting.

Off-topic here though, I know about how the hypo gene is recessive in all, and it will almost NEVER happen, but wouldn't the first hypo have had to come out of a clutch of "normals"? It had to come from somewhere, right?

It's a gene mutation or morph, which is based on a comparison with what would most often appear like in the sampling of the species of the same kind .

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
N2TORTS said:
The Hypo gene is a recessive gene and it takes two Adult Hypos to produce a visual hypo . You would never have a mixed clutch of tortoises if it were true hypo , it just doesn't happen. The closest you would come if you had a " real " adult Hypo bred with a Norm ,it would be "Het" for hypo and normal looking like any other RF , but WILL be carrying the gene for hypo .

Don't the normal rules of genetics apply?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
jaizei said:
N2TORTS said:
The Hypo gene is a recessive gene and it takes two Adult Hypos to produce a visual hypo . You would never have a mixed clutch of tortoises if it were true hypo , it just doesn't happen. The closest you would come if you had a " real " adult Hypo bred with a Norm ,it would be "Het" for hypo and normal looking like any other RF , but WILL be carrying the gene for hypo .

Yes .....You can use the Punnett square to demonstrate:
Once a person understands how the genes are passed to the next generation you can predict statistically how many offspring will receive which genes. It's important to remember that any prediction made is only statistical, it is not necessarily what you will get from a single clutch…….
For the purposes of your question here, we will consider genes to fall into one of two categories‘, either recessive or dominant. A dominant gene does just what the name suggests, it dominates over recessive genes. What this means is any time a dominant gene is present it will be expressed regardless of what type of gene it's paired with. In order for a recessive gene to be expressed it has to be paired with another recessive gene just like it. It can get further into detailed considering......
Simple Recessive Traits
Double Recessive Traits
Possible Hets
Co-dominant Traits and Combining co- dominant traits

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
N2TORTS said:
jaizei said:
N2TORTS said:

Once a person understands how the genes are passed to the next generation you can predict statistically how many offspring will receive which genes. It's important to remember that any prediction made is only statistical, it is not necessarily what you will get from a single clutch…….
For the purposes of your question here, we will consider genes to fall into one of two categories‘, either recessive or dominant. A dominant gene does just what the name suggests, it dominates over recessive genes. What this means is any time a dominant gene is present it will be expressed regardless of what type of gene it's paired with. In order for a recessive gene to be expressed it has to be paired with another recessive gene just like it. It can get further into detailed considering......
Simple Recessive Traits
Double Recessive Traits
Possible Hets

Man, sometimes I just wanna pick your brain....
Is that creepy? :p

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
RedfootsRule said:
N2TORTS said:
jaizei said:
N2TORTS said:

Simple Recessive Traits
Double Recessive Traits
Possible Hets

Man, sometimes I just wanna pick your brain....
Is that creepy? :p
" LOL " :D

Redhead

5 Year Member
San Antonio
RE: "Hypo" redfoot

I want to be just like JD when I grow up. :)

*I'm 36. Hopefully, there's still time to learn as much as I can about the beautiful tortoises. I love their look and especially their personalities.

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge. It's very helpful to beginners like me. :)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member

Redhead said:

*I'm 36. Hopefully, there's still time to learn as much as I can about the beautiful tortoises. I love their look and especially their personalities.

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge. It's very helpful to beginners like me. :)

Red....yer making me blush- ,, I still learn new things everyday from folks such as yourself.
Real life experience rather be success or failure , and sharing those stories will help others to achieve the same goals if wanted. To each their own and modifications is the evolution of present day life. We are creatures of habit ...........
I enjoy sharing my stories , pictures and love for the hobby ....it keeps me a sane man.
( plus my "shrink" thinks it's good for me ;) )
Education is the key to life they say ....but so is street smarts, experience and being "on key" with the personal experience to back it. Growing up and raised by a single parent, I was very fortunate as an only child and having a genius scientist as a dad , best friend and mentor.
Funny thing is ..... do you know how many times a day I say to myself ... " If I would have done this when I was younger" ...
Ya started my day off with a smile ... Thank you !

JD~:)

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa

N2TORTS said:
Redhead said:

Red....yer making me blush- ,, I still learn new things everyday from folks such as yourself.
Real life experience rather be success or failure , and sharing those stories will help others to achieve the same goals if wanted. To each their own and modifications is the evolution of present day life. We are creatures of habit ...........
I enjoy sharing my stories , pictures and love for the hobby ....it keeps me a sane man.
( plus my "shrink" thinks it's good for me ;) )
Education is the key to life they say ....but so is street smarts, experience and being "on key" with the personal experience to back it. Growing up and raised by a single parent, I was very fortunate as an only child and having a genius scientist as a dad , best friend and mentor.
Funny thing is ..... do you know how many times a day I say to myself ... " If I would have done this when I was younger" ...
Ya started my day off with a smile ... Thank you !

JD~:)

i still say that.i wish i did this when i was younger. i may be " cough'' 50ish and i am like a little kid with the pets. i too am glad to be here with you guys. lindy

Status
Not open for further replies.