Hygiene Disinfectant.

Steve_carter

Location (City and/or State)
UK
I think I have posted in the correct section. So there are plenty of products out there for reptiles. I am looking at a disinfectant spray for his tortoise table. Seem afew but before making a purchase does anyone recommend any? Just want a tortoise safe disinfectant.

Any ideas or experiences you can share?

Steve_carter

UK
I've used hot water to clean but was not sure if that was good enough to keep the table, hide, slates all good from bacteria etc. So really just to keep with Hot water no spray stuff?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Vinegar for wiping the glass windows of the enclosure, water dish gets wiped to get the grime and rinsed with water, slate gets wiped down to get yesterday's food of. If I serve meat/protein, I take the slate out and run it through dishwasher, while they have another piece of slate in there (I have 2), as for hides, rocks etc, they never get washed, and my substrate is bioactive so I do not change it, ever, just replace patches of moss or plants once they are done performing

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I've used hot water to clean but was not sure if that was good enough to keep the table, hide, slates all good from bacteria etc. So really just to keep with Hot water no spray stuff?
I don't think any disinfecting is needed in healthy torts enclosure. To the contrary I believe that similar to fish tanks colonies of beneficial bacteria are needed to keep things in balance, you know little mini ecosystem. I happen to love my beneficial bacteria

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I personally only use hot water. If you want to use some dish soap I would only use dawn. I don't trust anything else.
How much stock do you own in Dawn?!?!?!?!?

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
I use the seventh generation wipes for my snake tubs and for my tortoise water bowl and food tile. I don't wipe down the enclosure unless im changing out all the substrate and doing a total breakdown.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
LOL, wish I did. I trust it cuz of all the animals that have been saved cuz of it. Plus, if it's still going, for each bottle bought they donate 1 dollar to animal rescues.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Don't use dawn. Just use hot water

View attachment 198970
If it was that bad, there would be a lot of dead animals that was washed with it to get the oil spill oil off them. Would love to know the source of that info.
They do now have many different kinds out now. I use the original. Never was one for fancy smells on my dishes.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
If it was that bad, there would be a lot of dead animals that was washed with it to get the oil spill oil off them. Would love to know the source of that info.
They do now have many different kinds out now. I use the original. Never was one for fancy smells on my dishes.
https://forcechange.com/56884/remove-toxic-chemicals-from-dawn-dish-soap/

They may have changed some things in it but my company was even told not to use it in cleaning some of our products in the past by a environmental group that I can't list. We could probably find stuff like this on any and all products we use, however when this agency stepped in to my place of employment and restricted our use then I decided it was best not to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
https://forcechange.com/56884/remove-toxic-chemicals-from-dawn-dish-soap/

They may have changed some things in it but my company was even told not to use it in cleaning some of our products in the past by a environmental group that I can't list. We could probably find stuff like this on any and all products we use, however when this agency stepped in to my place of employment and restricted our use then I decided it was best not to use it.
I agree crwp can probably be found in everything. Heck we know it can be. Thanks for the links.

Steve_carter

UK
Thank you all for your replies.

I shall keep to the hot water routine to keep on the safe side.

Thanks @Alexio for the wipes idea also. Just came up when looking for substrate and wondered if it was better than the hot water. His enclosure it kept clean etc so probably no need. Just thought to ask the question incase the hot water was inadequate

What about outdoor tortoise watering dishes that you can't keep the pigeons away from? Smart, but filthy critters. I have also been using dawn doshsoap and hot water.