Humidity problems

tkoehle

5 Year Member
Hey I have a leopard tortoise and I have some serious humidity problem. I have a closed chamber and a humidifier,but I can only keep it on for short periods of time because the coco coir becomes to saturated with water. Long story short my gage says the humidity is only 58%. What should i do?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Yeap, I think the gage is bad. Get a new one.

tkoehle

5 Year Member
Not using a petco gage ImageUploadedByTortForum1385346652.122345.jpg this is the gage I use

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't tell what all the readings on it are for. The 71 degrees, if that's the enclosure, you need to bump it up ASAP to no lower then 80. You need the higher heat to make the humidity. Under 80 and wet will make a very sick tort. If the temps are correct then I would say the gauge isn't working right. With the correct temps and the water I see in the pics, the humidity would be good.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
What are you using for a closed chamber? Did you build one, is it a vivarium, converted aquarium? Are the lights inside or outside?

My first thoughts: You could have holes or openings that your humidity is escaping from.

Humidity is the water vapor in the air NOT how soggy the dirt is. My chambers can have humidity levels in the 90s and still have dirt dry to the touch. I don't even use a fogger.

Check for any holes or openings.

tkoehle

5 Year Member
I use a converted aquarium and I will double check for holes