Humid hide box

jcalpacagirl34

I have been wondering how to keep my RF's hide box humid. Would a heat mat and regular misting help?

Attachments

• 1479814356268.jpg
    1479814356268.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 44

jcalpacagirl34

Thanks for your reply. I have been misting it but it's not humid at all. In fact it's cold. Is there a such thing as a heat strip bulb?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Humidity is produced by evaporating water. If you moisten the substrate and use a suitable, waterproof heating element, this will humidify the hide.

Deep substrate with waterproof heat ropes (Hydrokable and Big Apple Herps are both excellent) has worked for me in the past with a fully covered enclosure. I would bury the waterproof heat ropes under 4-6 inches of hardwood/cypress mulch and pour in enough water to have ~1 inch standing under the surface of the substrate. The heat ropes would then warm and evaporate the water and generate lots of ambient humidity.

Having a fully closed enclosure (redundant...) really helps to keep heat & humidity in.

jcalpacagirl34

My enclosure is completely closed in. I have not invested in heat ropes. I guess I wasn't clear on my question so here it is.....what type of waterproof heating lamp would be suitable for this type of hide box? A strip bulb? (If they make those in heating form)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
What redstrike is suggesting is you put heat ropes in the bottom of your hide because they are water proof. You don't want to light up your hide, this is where your tort needs to go and feel secure in the dark.
Is this hide part of a larger enclosure?
How big is the hide?
70f is not warm enough for your Tortoise. Does it have access to higher temps?

jcalpacagirl34

Ooh ok. Yes this hide is part of a larger enclosure and yes he does have access to warmer Temps and high humidity

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Ooh ok. Yes this hide is part of a larger enclosure and yes he does have access to warmer Temps and high humidity

We love pictures, it takes a lot of the guesswork out of troubleshooting and makes it easier to assist.
Below are a couple resources I know and love, outside of this forum.

http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/ - great resource at no cost. Well researched, factual information here. If you click on Housing -> Humidity there is a great article written there.

If you have a little extra money, I would highly recommend this book:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1441494030/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
is it normal for tortoise to use hide box as a bathroom instead of place to retire at night to